Metadata/Timestamps

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Sundown

Metadata/Timestamps

Post by Sundown »

Dear All,
I came to use HandBrake for the first time because I needed to convert some HEVC files shot on iPhone 8 into M4V files. I wish to edit them in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 which does not support HEVC. There are 170 short files, converted with a batch scan (fast 1080P 30fps).
Problem: when I converted them I lost the 'date created' metadata - that becomes the time that the file format was changed.
Please, can someone tell me how to do the conversion again, but this time retain the original timestamp? I have searched in the preferences section and also in the Documentation TOC.
With many thanks.:

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

1.2.2 (2019022300):

Windows 10.0.18362:

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
The activity log from when I did the conversion is in the recommended PasteBin.
https://pastebin.com/UraBTUc0
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Metadata/Timestamps

Post by s55 »

There is no option to change this. Your creating a "new" file that's different from the source, so the file created dates will be the encoded time.

You can potentially write a script to do and have this run using the "When done" option in preferences. You'd probably need the source/destination filenames to be the same to make the script easier as the "When Done" option currently only provides the Destination filepath/name. IT's not the easiest solution but that's the only practical way of doing it in HandBrake.

Outside that, you'd need to either use a 3rd party tool post, or just not use HandBrake. Better yet, don't rely on this particular file attribute as it's unreliable anyway. I'd typically set the date in the container (not the file).
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Aside, the Production presets are geared for your situation. Try the Production Standard preset and maybe change the audio encoder from AAC to Passthru, since the source audio is already AAC.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Dear both, thanks for the replies.
S55, you wrote 'Better yet, don't rely on this particular file attribute as it's unreliable anyway. I'd typically set the date in the container (not the file).'
Please can you tell me how to set the date in the container (not the file)?
I realise I should have been clearer in my original message... I don't really care about the absolute time stamp, I just need to be able to place these clips INTO ORDER - the same order in which they were shot. Naturally I'd have sorted them by 'date created'' but perhaps there is another way.
BradleyS - many thanks I will investigate your suggestion as well.
Sorry it took me a while to reply, my email filtered the notification.