"Mixdown" DTS 2.0 to Dolby Surround

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
bip

"Mixdown" DTS 2.0 to Dolby Surround

Post by bip »

Description of problem or question:
I have a source with a DTS 2.0 audio track. With HandBrake, there is an option to downmix it to Dolby Surround. What will be the result of it?
Will I simply get normal stereo signal only in the left and right front speaker, just Dolby encoded or will I also get some audio signal from the rear speakers?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 7
BradleyS

Re: "Mixdown" DTS 2.0 to Dolby Surround

Post by BradleyS »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_P ... y_Surround

It's matrix encoded. You will need a compatible Dolby-capable receiver set to one of the appropriate Dolby decoding modes. Otherwise, you'll hear stereo.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Aside, if the source audio is truly stereo with no matrixed or discrete components, then the stereo mixdown will be irrelevant and you will have stereo.
bip

Post by bip »

In other words, if I mix down Stereo to Dolby Surround/Dolby Pro Logic, I will just get a normal stereo signal when played without matrix decoding and some surround effect when decoded properly? Will it be different from playing normal stereo with matrix decoding enabled?

Another related question: it Handbrake yet able to properly mixdown lossless DTS-HD MA tracks? I remember that some time ago only the lossy core was used for mixdown even when selecting the DTS-HD MA track.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Encoding for PLII Dolby involves adding a 90 deg. phase shift to one channel in order to facilitate the matrix decoder. The Dolby White Paper says that during stereo playback, the shift is "normally indistinguishable," or words to that effect.