too many titles returned for a small minority of dvds

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
gwc42

too many titles returned for a small minority of dvds

Post by gwc42 »

Description of problem or question:
Ive used handbrake to rip hundreds of dvds, usually without any problem whatsoever. But a small handful of dvds return a huge number of titles, Eg Lost Series 6 disk 1 returns 40 or so titles each over 40 minutes duration. Obviously a disk cant hold that much info and it appears that many of the titles have similar but not identical set of preview pictures. Is there any way i can work out which of the titles has the correct sequence?
I think if the video lengths are unique i can cross check with vlc runtime forcthe title and i hope those will be ok but in the case of some disks several of the spurious titles have the same runlength.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Not really applicable

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

I dont know how to get this from my pc which doesnt have internet in a form that i can transfer to my phone and submit here. Is there Some way of sending it as an attachment? If so i can (probably) do it; if not, then please advise. Otherwise a more general answer to my query with some possible causes or possible things to try might still be helpful. Thanks.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: too many titles returned for a small minority of dvds

Post by rollin_eng »

Try ripping with makemkv first.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: too many titles returned for a small minority of dvds

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Titles on a DVD are not a 1 to 1 mapping with actual stream content on the disc. A title is like a playlist. I provides a list of files that when played end to end represent some content. Some producers of DVDs create lots of dummy titles that, when played, show the content in the wrong sequence. This is a simple form of copy protection that is difficult to work around. HandBrake makes some attempt to guess the correct main title when libdvdnav is enabled in preferences, but it's not 100% successful. Programs like MakeMKV do a better job because figuring out and defeating these kinds of things is their primary reason for existence.