Is it safe to use the pause button? (noob query)

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
pete_agreatguy

Is it safe to use the pause button? (noob query)

Post by pete_agreatguy »

Hi all,

I'm rather new to ripping my blu rays to my "media" drive in order to stream them across my network.

I did not realise it was going to take so long to encode a 1080p MKV H.265 file on my setup (I plan on upgrading to Ryzen 3000 this year).

Is it safe to use the pause feature?

i.e. It won't affect the output file if I pause the encoding process for several hours and then resume later?

JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Is it safe to use the pause button? (noob query)

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Yes, it is safe. But keep in mind that pausing does not make it safe to shut down or restart the computer. If the computer reboots while the encode is paused, the encode is lost.
pete_agreatguy

Post by pete_agreatguy »

Yup, I was just merely wanting to use my PC for other activities which required some of the resources. Thank you for your reply.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake sets its run priority "below normal", so you can do other activities. When I'm encoding on my "primary" video machine, I can also run two or three copies of MakeMKV, ripping disks, monitor my surveillance cameras, and several other tasks. Unless you're planning on doing gaming or compiling large programs, you may not notice it that much.