How to convert interlaced video to progressive with double the frame rate?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mark.uk

How to convert interlaced video to progressive with double the frame rate?

Post by mark.uk »

Hello! :)

I've been digitising my VHS collection to mpeg 2 files. They are 720 x 576, 25 frames per second (PAL) and interlaced.

Some of these are TV shows and I don't want to lose that smooth interlaced motion when uploading to Youtube, so I'd like to convert them to a 50 frames per second progressive video. And they'll need to be upscaled to 720p50 too, since Youtube only has 50/60 frames per second for HD videos.

Could someone guide me on the best way to do this?

Thank you!
Mark
Last edited by mark.uk on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradleyS

Re: How to convert interlaced video to progressive with double the frame rate?

Post by BradleyS »

Upscaling is not implemented in the graphical interface, but you can do it with the command line interface. Read the --help.

Switch the deinterlacing filter from Decomb to Bob and make sure the video FPS is set to Same As Source, and you should have 50 FPS video. Be sure to save a new preset to use for your encodes.
mark.uk

Post by mark.uk »

Thanks for the reply BradleyS, when I was trying it yesterday I set the FPS to 50 and not Same As Source, maybe that was where I was going wrong. I will try it later tonight!
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

You may also want to disable the Interlace Detection filter which analyzes the video to choose which frames to deinterlace. Turning this off forces all frames to be processed when a deinterlacing filter is enabled.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Hi, just a question: I'm using an older nightly version (2018 I think) where the upscaling is possible as it was described by NMaverick here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36307&p=170608&hil ... le#p170608
Now I'm thinking about updating to a new HandBrake version especially because of the NVenc implementation, but I don't want to loose this upscaling feature. Can you please let me know if it is still there, and if not, when it was removed?
I have found it is sometimes handy when working with old B/W badly converted movies...
Thanks.