x264 Software vs. Intel QSV vs NVEnc

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Shibblet
Novice

x264 Software vs. Intel QSV vs NVEnc

Post by Shibblet »

Did a compression artifact comparison between the three. I don't have "specific" numbers, but I can tell you what I have observed.

Software takes the longest (especially at veryslow) to get the smallest file size with the best picture results. On average of 6 hours for a 2 hour movie (Core i7-3440) QC set to 24

QSV (Core i7-3440) is the fastest, with a lesser quality picture with QP set to 24. The file size is about 30% larger than the previous. Encode time on this is about 24 minutes.

NVEnc is faster than the first, with a larger file size, and not as good of picture. I am using a GTX780ti. Encode time here is about 27 minutes.

So, it comes down to having Speed, Quality, or Small File Size... Pick Two.

This is my take on the matter. Does anyone know faster ways to encode video and still keep a great quality picture? I'd love to know.

Thanks,
mduell
Veteran User

Re: x264 Software vs. Intel QSV vs NVEnc

Post by mduell »

You can pick faster software settings, to get higher speed and lower efficiency (higher size or lower quality, or a bit of both, depending on your ratecontrol choices). But the classic tradeoff remains. So you can have fast and quality, but with large size.
BradleyS

Re: x264 Software vs. Intel QSV vs NVEnc

Post by BradleyS »

I just finished putting this article together. It should be on the main website soon. https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake- ... e.markdown