Major changes or optimizations

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
deathtical
Experienced

Major changes or optimizations

Post by deathtical »

I was just wondering if you guys had made some significant changes related to 4K encodes lately? My encodes used to take on average 18+ hours. I recently wiped and reinstalled my PC and installed the newest HandBrake and it is telling me that my 4K encode will only take about 8 hours. What witchcraft have you employed ;)? Why did it take so long :o? In all seriousness, thank you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Major changes or optimizations

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You're using wildly different settings than you used to.
deathtical
Experienced

Post by deathtical »

mduell wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:00 pm You're using wildly different settings than you used to.
No. I imported my customization from before. All settings are the same as before. I like my encodes to be consistent. This wasn't a complaint, I was just wondering if some kind of optimization had been added in the last update or two. Maybe one that utilizes my CPU better than it did before.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There are no major optimisations in HandBrake that would cause this. That therefor leaves the most likely cause being change of settings.

We'd need to see logs for both to confirm the differences for you.

Note, default settings do change. Presets will not always import correctly into newer versions also depending on change changes.