Integrated AAC-encoder quality poor?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
TSCH

Integrated AAC-encoder quality poor?

Post by TSCH »

Hello,

I want to encode audio tracks to aac in the future but found some threads saying encoding with integrated aac-encoder in handbrake results in poor quality.
Is that true or don't you agree?

Kind regards

TSCH
Deleted User 11865

Re: Integrated AAC-encoder quality poor?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Latest version (1.2+) has an improved AAC encoder that's OK (not as good as the best AAC encoders out there, but decent).
TSCH

Post by TSCH »

Hello Rodeo,

thanks a lot for your quick reply.
Which aac-encoder is used by Handbrake and is there any chance replacing it with another encoder of my choice?
And besides: Handbrake is awesome!!!

Kinr regards

tsch
Deleted User 11865

libavcodec's AAC encoder (now from FFmpeg, previously from Libav).

You cannot use other encoder without compiling HandBrake yourself from source code.
TSCH

Post by TSCH »

Any plans for using the Fraunhofer encoder in the future or giving the user the possibility to choose between two aac-encoders?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If the licensing changed on the FAAC encoder to allow distribution, things could change. But the license doesn't, so moot point.

You can compile handbrake yourself with the FAAC encoder. You just cannot distribute it to others without obtaining a license to do so.
TSCH

Post by TSCH »

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to compile handbrake with the desired encoder myself.
I'm just a user but not a programmer.
Deleted User 11865

Woodstock wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:53 pm If the licensing changed on the FAAC encoder to allow distribution, things could change. But the license doesn't, so moot point.

You can compile handbrake yourself with the FAAC encoder. You just cannot distribute it to others without obtaining a license to do so.
You mean FDK-AAC… faac is another, also fairly poor encoder.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Ooops... I keep them straight when I'm doing encodes, just not when typing about them. :)