Not interested in the video --- what's the ultimate garbage settings for video so I can speed up the rendering?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Imbacore
New User

Not interested in the video --- what's the ultimate garbage settings for video so I can speed up the rendering?

Post by Imbacore »

Not interested in the video --- what's the ultimate garbage settings for video so I can speed up the rendering? I'm only interested in the audio tracks (which I will extract using another program).

HandBrake version 1.2.2

Windows 7 64-bit

Thanks! ^_^
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Not interested in the video --- what's the ultimate garbage settings for video so I can speed up the rendering?

Post by mduell »

drop the resolution as low as it will go and use x264 preset ultrafast at the highest RF
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Not interested in the video --- what's the ultimate garbage settings for video so I can speed up the rendering?

Post by Woodstock »

If you're only interested in the audio, why are you bothering with handbrake to begin with?

Or are you using handbrake in place of "ripping software", which would be faster?
ddiepo
New User

Post by ddiepo »

I found mpeg2 to be slightly faster than h.264 on ultrafast

Code: Select all

-e mpeg2 -Y 108 -X 192
^ slightly better than

-e x264 --encoder-preset ultrafast -Y 108 -X 192 
To Woodstock, I'm sure my case isn't the same as the OP, but my reason to ignore the video is that I found that the audio in the transcode didn't come out the way I expected and I wanted to fix my scripts to get it right for the next time.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

And scale the video down to 32x32
ronald119

Post by ronald119 »

You could if you only want audio use this commandline for ffmpeg (if the source is mp4):

ffmpeg -i %1 -c:a copy -vn -sn "%~n1.m4a
Saves a lot on the filesize too.

See also here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/991 ... from-video