TrueHD Passthru coming out at as aac_lc

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Kleobis

TrueHD Passthru coming out at as aac_lc

Post by Kleobis »

I am using Synology and Fire TV to watch my movies. First I use Make MKV to get rid of everything but the movie and all of the sound tracks except for typically 5.1 and 7.1. ( I get rid of all the foreign language and commentary tracks) Then I use handbrake to create a Dolby pro logic II version for use on my other TVs that don't have a sound system as well as convert all DTS tracks to AAC as Fire TV and Synology won't pass DTS through to my receiver, which is annoying but not much I can do about it. When I have Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 available, I simply us the passthru option in handbrake. Sometimes the 5.1 is AC3 and I have not had any problems playing this on my setup. However, sometimes the 5.1 is TrueHD and I am getting an error whenever I try and watch one of my movies with the TrueHD track. Both Synology and Fire TV say they support TrueHD, but the error I am getting from Synology is telling me that they don't support aac_lc even though the track was a TrueHD passthru from handbrake. I am not an expert in this area, but after doing some research, aac_lc seems to be different then TrueHD and I was wondering is even though I am selecting TrueHD passthru, some sort of change is happening to change the track. The container is still a MKV file and I have reached out to Synology and created a ticket to make sure that it's not messing things up, but I also wanted to reach out for some help here just in case something is happening when I process everything with handbrake. Thanks in advance.

HandBrake 1.2.0
Windows 10 pro

Link to drop box for the activity logs are here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqb3pfbf9c8k4 ... .docx?dl=0 I am not sure if you are the only one who sees this and the link is removed prior to posting this question. This is the first time I have included my activity logs, I hope I have done it correctly.
Deleted User 11865

Re: TrueHD Passthru coming out at as aac_lc

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You have two audio tracks in your output file, the first is AAC-LC and the second TrueHD.
Kleobis

Post by Kleobis »

Yes, I mentioned that I was creating multiple files. When I play the aac file I dont have any issues. When I play the movie with the TrueHD track I receive an error saying that they dont support the aac_lc file. I watched a video online once that said that TrueHD files from handbrake weren't exactly TrueHD files in that they were changed someway or that something was left out of the final file. I guess I'm to figure out why my system thinks the TrueHD files are aac_lc files instead.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You have two audio tracks in the same output file. The first track is AAC-LC, second track is TrueHD.

Code: Select all

* audio track 1
+ name: AAC Dolby Pro Logic II
+ decoder: English (TrueHD) (5.1 ch) (track 1, id 0x1)
+ samplerate: 48000 Hz
+ mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II + dither: none
+ encoder: AAC (libavcodec)
+ bitrate: 160 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
* audio track 2
mask dilate thread started for segment 1
+ name: TrueHD Passthru 5.1
+ decoder: English (TrueHD) (5.1 ch) (track 1, id 0x1)
+ samplerate: 48000 Hz
+ TrueHD Passthru
Given the error message, I'm guessing your NAS is not liking the first track, which is not the TrueHD one.
Kleobis

Post by Kleobis »

It is actually fine when I play the first one which is aac like we have talked about. It's the second one, the TrueHD file that I'm getting an error with. My Synology is telling me it is an aac file which didnt make any sense to me. I reached out to them and I'm waiting for thier reply. However, as I mentioned is my last post, I heard that Handbrake altered TrueHD, even in passthru and I wanted to check to see if this was the case and if this might be causing my error.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

What happens if you encode it without the aac track?