DTS-HD vs. DTS-HD MA

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
KillerClaw

DTS-HD vs. DTS-HD MA

Post by KillerClaw »

Quick question,

I'm converting Blu-ray audio to AAC 5.1 for compatibility.
Will using DTS-HD MA lossless as the source produce higher quality audio compared to the DTS-HD lossy core audio?

Thanks.
BradleyS

Re: DTS-HD vs. DTS-HD MA

Post by BradleyS »

Yes, but when selecting DTS-HD MA, HandBrake only decodes the lossy core. One way around this is to use MakeMKV to make an MKV with the original video and FLAC (lossless) 5.1, then feed that to HandBrake.
spiritofjerry

Post by spiritofjerry »

Hello BradleyS, is this still the case that HandBrake can still only decode the lossy core? I have read otherwise elsewhere, but I cannot find a definitive answer.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Rodeo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:39 pm Yes, pretty sure 1.3 and later now have DTS-HD decode support; possibly even earlier (1.2.x) but not sure.
Listen to Rodeo.
spiritofjerry

Post by spiritofjerry »

That's a little more promising, but "pretty sure" doesn't instill confidence. What is the decoder used to decode DTS-HD MA? I have used a tool called eac3to for accomplishing some of the audio encoding tasks, primarily for the AAC encoding because I can be assured that eac3to makes the encode from the lossless MA track. Eac3to uses ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre as the decoder: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/Ho ... o_Decoders

I cannot find any documentation on the DTS-HD MA decoders used by Handbrake for resulting encodes. I want to be 100% certain I'm not making lossy to lossy transcodes.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

spiritofjerry

Post by spiritofjerry »

Many thanks!!!