HandBrake 1.2.0 Discussion Thread

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
HandBrake

HandBrake 1.2.0 Discussion Thread

Post by HandBrake »

Discuss the 1.2.0 release here
derekmski

Thank you!

Post by derekmski »

I just wanted to thank everyone that worked so hard on the HandBrake 1.2.0 release! I am so excited to have Nvidia NVENC Encoder support! Also the stop confirmation popup is also much appreciated! Happy Holidays everyone!
rachel
Novice

Re: HandBrake 1.2.0 Discussion Thread

Post by rachel »

Noticing this:
- Improved quality of the default AAC encoder on non-Mac platforms (FFmpeg AAC), no longer experimental
Would you say it's improved enough that those of us not on Macs can skip building a version with fdk-aac?

I suppose I'm not really asking for an absolute by-the-numbers "is it at least as good as fdk?" but rather a more subjective "is it good enough now that the difference isn't worth the effort?"

(edit was just to enable notifications)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake doesn't use FFmpeg AAC on Mac. (Still doesn't in 1.2.0) It uses CoreAudio from Apple and has done so for a long time. There wasn't any point in you compiling FDK on mac. There are various reports that show CoreAudio is actually better in some regards so you may have been doing yourself a disservice doing this :( To be honest though, they are both very good so it's not really worth caring about.

It was only worth the hassle on Windows / Linux.

ffmpeg developers consider their encoder out of beta. It's not perfect from their account, but it's considerably better than it was. So, if you can't tell the difference, it's not worth the hassle. I haven't seen any significant data that would compare the two though.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

rachel wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:43 pmWould you say it's improved enough that those of us not on Macs can skip building a version with fdk-aac?
;)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Meh.

I was slightly stunned when I thought someone was doing this :/

Reading fail
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

fdk-aac is still quite a bit better than ffmpeg aac and also includes an he-aac encoder for lower bitrate applications which ffmpeg doesn't have. So if your comfortable building your own with fdk-aac, I would continue doing so.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

HandBrake AAC-LC encoder quality on a scale from 1 to 5, 3 being good and 5 being best:

5) Apple CoreAudio AAC
4) Frauenhofer FDK-AAC
3) FFmpeg avcodec AAC
2) Libav avcodec AAC (missing some major improvements in FFmpeg)
1) Two cans connected by string
Deleted User 11865

libavcodec is the name of the encoding library in both Libav and FFmpeg ;)

It's basically the same encoder, the FFmpeg version just has many improvements that the Libav developers haven't had time to review and merge into their libavcodec.
Warrex

Post by Warrex »

Thanks for the really EPIC release! I did not think you would ever drop Libav.

I got two questions though regarding the NVENC implementation.

1. Reading encavcodec.c and the commit 6c560316239a5e96754e315e0dba805020bf3e9d I see that you changed the rate control mode from "vbr" to "constqp". Why? You still seem to be using "cq" on which ffmpeg's help states this: "Set target quality level (0 to 51, 0 means automatic) for constant quality mode in VBR rate control (from 0 to 51) (default 0)".

So why are you not setting "vbr_hq" as rate control mode?

2. As far as I can see you are not using any of the following features:

B-Frames (on Turing HW like the Nvidia GTX 2080 now also supported for HEVC)
Spatial / Temporal AQ
RC Lookahead

Is this correct and if so why? Do not get me wrong. I am fine with setting them myself in "Extra Options". I am just curious if there is any reason not to do so.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

2. As far as I can see you are not using any of the following features:
I could be wrong, but wouldn't those things be enabled for the "hq" nvenc preset?
Warrex

Post by Warrex »

I did not find any current info on that. Only slide 17 from this very old presentation: http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/20 ... er-api.pdf

So B-Frames indeed seem to be activated (how many?) but regarding the AQ modes and RC lookahead ffmpeg only gives me the following output with "-loglevel debug" if I use the respective options.
[h264_nvenc @ 0000017d8500e040] Temporal AQ enabled.
[h264_nvenc @ 0000017d8500e040] Lookahead enabled: depth 16, scenecut enabled, B-adapt enabled.
The HQ profile also turns on VBR rate control. But as I said you seemed to change that to "constqp" for no apparent reason.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's constqp for constant quality qp in HandBrake,
cbr_hq for average bitrate. (should actually be vbr_hq but we can sort that)

The qp variables are set, so cq is probably ignored in the instances where it is erroneously set. .

2. The public information for NVENC is somewhat lacking, so you know as much as we do. I would expect the presets to utilise these options but without actually analysing the output file, I can't say.
Warrex

Post by Warrex »

The qp variables are set, so cq is probably ignored in the instances where it is erroneously set. .
Tested that with ffmpeg. Yes, it should get ignored. I also saw that you are setting the intital qp values (init_qpI, init_qpP, init_qpB) instead of "qp" directly and that you are setting them to different values based on the qp given by the user (-2 for i-frames, +2 for b-frames). I do not know if this is smart but it is unexpected. At least with constqp as rc mode in place the settings should not change.

Playing around with CQ I first thought it would be the way to go as it adjusts the quantization parameter based on the content it encodes - just like x264/x265 do with their CRF mode. But I can see why you might have decided to use qp instead:

1. ffmpeg still enforces the given bitrate (which defaults to a very low 2000kbit/s) as max. So a high dummy bitrate has to be set.
2. Even cq = 0 only uses qps down to ca. 13. This might be sane but it is still unexpected.

I have also just seen in commit 2b2bf33f4753cfb257d480ae94caec7bd6accdb1 that you experimented with rc lookahead and spatial aq in the past but decided to not change the default of the encoder. Considering that rc lookahead 24 causes encodes to fail for me (not 16 or 32) this might be for the better.

However there is also what I believe to be incorrect information in your documentation concerning NVENC (https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... nvenc.html):

- temporal-aq is not supported for HEVC at the moment - only spatial-aq is
- rc-lookahead goes up to 32

If you care here is a collection of the NVENC documentation: https://github.com/MarkRepo/NvencEncode ... master/doc
Deleted User 45146

Post by Deleted User 45146 »

HandBrake wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:30 pm Discuss the 1.2.0 release here
Thanks for this update!

Very pressing question though: How do I switch the localization back from German to English?
I am used to the English interface and cannot find my way around in the German version (and some translations just sound funny, sorry...).

Thanks
Stefan
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If your on Windows, you can set the language view preferences. Not sure if that's an option on mac.

P.s folks can help improve the translations here: https://www.transifex.com/HandBrakeProject/
scpetit

Post by scpetit »

Trying to encode 7.1 Audio'

Using the Apple 2160 preset and switching the Audio Codec to AAC (CoreAudio) since this seems to be the only select to allow a 7.1 mixdown.

It creates the file with the audio track

Audio #1:English 1031 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 8 channels / 2 channels, AAC (LC)

seems like the receiver is only playing back the 2 channels because nothing comes out of the center or rears - Just L/R speakers.

even when I encode a 5.1 mix now...it using the same string: 6 channels / 2 channels, AAC (LC)

The old HB shows the same film as 6 channels (no 2 channel option) and it plays correctly
Deleted User 45146

s55 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:49 pm If your on Windows, you can set the language view preferences. Not sure if that's an option on mac.
I am on a Mac, and unfortunately there is no such option in the preferences in the Mac version...

Cheers
Stefan
KillerClaw

Post by KillerClaw »

This may or may not be related to what scpetit is seeing, but has anyone else seen anything wonky with AAC mixdown?

I converted DTS HD 5.1 to AAC 5.1 and VLC only seems to play audio in the right channel when converting that 5.1 channel to stereo.
In VLC codec information, that audio stream is listed as "Channels: Unknown-chan-mask".

Though it seems to be fine in PLEX's player and in Kodi, so I'm not ruling it out as a VLC issue, but I haven't had this issue with VLC prior to the upgrade to Handbrake 1.2.0.
Deleted User 11865

Yes, there's a known issue with 5.1 channel AAC which will be fixed in the next version.
KillerClaw

Post by KillerClaw »

Thanks Rodeo, is there a "Known Issues" thread/document somewhere?
Deleted User 11865

In my head, but it's incomplete :)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Rodeo wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:15 pm In my head, but it's incomplete :)
And in the "closed issues" on github
https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... s%3Aclosed+

In particular, I think Rodeo is referring to this
https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/1744
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Also, what's changed on the 1.2.x branch since 1.2.0: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... .0...1.2.x
Deleted User 45146

Hello all,
vichman wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:37 am
s55 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:49 pm If your on Windows, you can set the language view preferences. Not sure if that's an option on mac.
I am on a Mac, and unfortunately there is no such option in the preferences in the Mac version...
any news on this topic?
It would be great if people would not be forced to use a certain language setting, but would be able to pick one themselves.
Thanks!

Stefan