dvd exact copy, but smaller

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
trickymagic

dvd exact copy, but smaller

Post by trickymagic »

Description of problem or question:
Im looking to replicate a DVD, and EXACT copy, including all menus and submenus. But, I want it to be smaller in size. My current DVD is 4.7GB. I want an exact copy with all menus intact, but sized down to about 1GB. I am fine with the quality loss, but I can not figure out how to do this. Please help!
BradleyS

Re: dvd exact copy, but smaller

Post by BradleyS »

HandBrake and most other softwares do not preserve menus, only a single video title.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

This would require software for authoring a DVD, which HB is not.

I think Nero Recode can do this.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Handbrake honors titles and chapters, not even MakeMKV supports menus, although the shell will allow it if anyone takes an interest in coding it?
trickymagic

Post by trickymagic »

That’d be awesome. I know it isn’t something popular that I’m asking, but it’s important to me to get a perfect copy (menus and everything) just copied at a smaller file size.

BTW, the output file type isn’t important, as long as I can use a program like vlc or similar to run the file.

Any other recommendations?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Also, "Exact copy except smaller" is the kind of request a pointy-haired boss would ask for... If it's smaller, it isn't an exact copy. :)

And if you "need" it be DVD-compatible, you won't be able to take advantage of the better compression that's come out since DVDs were defined.
trickymagic

Post by trickymagic »

It doesn’t have to be dvd compatible. But I need to structure to be the same, including all files and menus. Playback can happen through any player like vlc or similar.

I only say exact copy, because I’ve been looking for this solution for a long time and can’t find anyone to help. When I start this conversation people offer products that don’t give me what I’m asking for. Usually removing the menu structures of the discs.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

For the most part, though, people who rip disks do it because they don't LIKE dealing with the menus - "I want to play movie X, NOW!" Menus are not efficient in that environment. Menus are for dealing with a limited interface environment (DVD remote), rather than something more advanced.
trickymagic

Post by trickymagic »

Woodstock, yes I realize this. But there is a reason for what I’m searching for. I’m looking for a solution to my problem, not what is normal. I hope someone here can find a solution for me... even if the solution ISNT handbrake.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

I seem to remember dvd shrink being able to do this back in the day but it is super old now. Someone above suggested Nero Recode.