Video Dimensions

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jpayne

Video Dimensions

Post by jpayne »

Description of problem or question:
I am trying to encode a 4K source that is 3840x2160 (Par: 1/1?) but the output says 3840x1600. Why cant i get the same output as source?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Just loaded a source (mkv) that is 3840x2160, selected Roku 2160p30 4K preset but cant change the dimensions.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
W10/64

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

No Activity.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
BradleyS

Re: Video Dimensions

Post by BradleyS »

Most likely, HandBrake is automatically cropping black bars (letterboxing). This is usually desired, but if you want to retain them, simply set cropping to custom and all values to 0 (zero). Then save a new preset for future use.
jpayne

Post by jpayne »

Ahh.. youre absolutely correct! i just looked at the original and then a preview and the preview shows the crop decreased. I think i prefer it that way. Thanks for the insight.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

You're welcome. :)
veresk

Post by veresk »

BradleyS wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:36 pm Most likely, HandBrake is automatically cropping black bars (letterboxing). This is usually desired, but if you want to retain them, simply set cropping to custom and all values to 0 (zero). Then save a new preset for future use.
Came here with the same problem. But in my case video has black bars NOT throughout the entire time! You know, like in Dark Knight Rises =)
Shot with different aspects, mixed in a single timeline. I actually even have 3 aspects - 4:3 (side black bars), 2.20:1 (classic black bars) and 16:9 (whole frame covered).

So HandBrake should try harder in guessing :D

Dangerous feature, I'd say. Now I start guessing if anything like this could happen before and I didn't notice that... and sent cropped video to the customer. Damn automatic features!! I never shoot automatic, never let soft decide anything! :evil:
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

veresk wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:19 pmSo HandBrake should try harder in guessing :D
There is a preference for that, to increase the number of samples used.
veresk wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:19 pmDangerous feature, I'd say. Now I start guessing if anything like this could happen before and I didn't notice that... and sent cropped video to the customer. Damn automatic features!! I never shoot automatic, never let soft decide anything! :evil:
Great feature for 99% of users who are starting with often matted DVD/BR content.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

mduell wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:43 pm Great feature for 99% of users who are starting with often matted DVD/BR content.
The figure is probably less than half that, and dropping every day. That said, auto cropping is indeed the correct default for our user base.
veresk wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:19 pmDangerous feature, I'd say. Now I start guessing if anything like this could happen before and I didn't notice that... and sent cropped video to the customer. Damn automatic features!! I never shoot automatic, never let soft decide anything! :evil:
The Summary tab in recent releases should make it clear what's happening. Also note that the Production presets do not crop, and of course you can create your own presets, if this isn't desirable.