Jittery audio, strobe-like video

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Baby Jane

Jittery audio, strobe-like video

Post by Baby Jane »

Description of problem or question:

Having learnt my lesson and now using makemkv in the first instance if I want to convert a DVD into a movie file I can play on my TV from a hard disk, I continue to find that almost everything I transcode using HB starts to fail when viewed on my TV from around the 1hr 40-46min mark. Up until that point it is perfect; then it starts with annoying slightly-out-of-sync audio, jittery audio, then jittery (strobe-like) picture which becomes progressively unwatchable.
I suspect the problem is with the TV in the way it reads the files (though I've looked up the TV's specs and - officially - it's fully compliant), and I'd be willing to accept that were it not for the fact that HB-converted files that other people have made, when played on my TV, don't have this problem.
I've experimented with changing various settings, however nothing seems to help.
Any idea of what the cause might be, based on above symptoms?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Jittery audio, strobe-like video

Post by mduell »

This is so far from a general question... we'd need specifics like the encode log and model of your TV to even take a guess.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

First test - can the TV play the MKV source file without problem? If you play the output file on your computer, does the audio unsync at the same point?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Baby Jane wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:58 am ... HB-converted files that other people have made, when played on my TV, don't have this problem.
It might be helpful to see the output of mediainfo for one of these files. Also, an encode log from your HandBrake encodes that don't work would tell us exactly what you are trying.