Convert 264 to 265 when file is already compressed

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Elliebear28
New User

Convert 264 to 265 when file is already compressed

Post by Elliebear28 »

Description of problem or question:

okay... I am an idiot.. I am trying to convert compressed files from 264 to 265 and so I moved quality all the way to the right on handbrake thinking that it would keep it at the source I inputted but it actually decompressed to its original size from 10 gb to 40 gb... but obviously it was not compressed originally with lossless so what ever was taken out is perm gone... so I just have a bigger file at the end with no gain in quality.. What settings do I need to pick on handbrake to insure I am not decompressing but leaving the video the same and just going from 264 to 265? Thanks for your help..

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Didn't do it right lol...

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Convert 264 to 265 when file is already compressed

Post by s55 »

You need to go back to the original source.

You have to decode h.264 before you can re-encode it, and re-encoding will add a generation of loss unless it's a lossless encode, which as you found out already, will result in a large file.