Post Your "Best Settings" here and Why.

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
bugmenot1

Re: Post Your "Best Settings" here and Why.

Post by bugmenot1 »

eagerly awaiting the up-to-date and revised settings :)
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

Including any differences in settings for the development snapshot.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

OK, here is what I am currently using. I am currently using post-snapshot code, so some of these features may not be available in .9.2 (and one is only available via a patch currently). Big difference is always using CRF=64 (except for concert DVDs... this high of a value typically results in a very large file), switched to loose anamorphic, no longer use denoise filter, and switched audio settings with support of multiple audio inputs in snapshot.

Format: MP4 File

Video
Encoder: x264
Constant Quality: 64% (I use 64% for everything now... very satisfied with size + quality after the VAQ improvements were committed to SVN)

Picture Settings
Anamorphic: Loose
Crop: Automatic
VFR: Enabled
Decomb: Default (available in SVN code... this + VFR results in beautiful encodes)

Audio + Subtitles
Track 1: English (AC3) (Dolby Surround) <-- if available, otherwise use English (AC3) (5.1)
- Audio Codec: AAC (faac)
- Mixdown: Stereo (due to a bug, this retains the original dolby surround encoding -- I'd rather keep the studio mix)
- Samplerate (khz): 48
- Bitrate (kbps): 160
- DRC: 1.50
Track 2: English (AC3) (5.1)
- Audio Codec: AC3 Passthru
Subtitles: Autoselect (Forced Subtitles Only - Checked)

Chapters: Enabled (I use chapter names from DVD if available, otherwise leave as default)

Advanced: cabac=0:ref=2:analyse=all:me=umh:subq=6:no-fast-pskip=1:trellis=1:mixed-refs=1:merange=32:level=30
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

Thanks nightstrm!

Any idea as to when the development snapshot will be updated and available with the patches in which you are referring? Also, will the windows version have all of these features you mention (like decomb)?
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

nightstrm wrote:Big difference is always using CRF=64 (except for concert DVDs... this high of a value typically results in a very large file),...
What do you do differently for concert DVDs? That is actually what I'm in the process of doing... Music Video DVDs and Concert DVD? Why do they require something different?

Thanks.....
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Any idea as to when the development snapshot will be updated and available with the patches in which you are referring? Also, will the windows version have all of these features you mention (like decomb)?
I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw something about an update to the snapshot this weekend, but I haven't checked to see what it has. When available, it will be cross-platform.
What do you do differently for concert DVDs? That is actually what I'm in the process of doing... Music Video DVDs and Concert DVD? Why do they require something different?
Because the footage is usually sub-par quality wise and between all the noise and the lighting/smoke effects, CRF=64 will usually result in a very bloated file. I usually bump the CRF value down to 60ish, or use ABR (~2000-2500).
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

nightstrm wrote:
I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw something about an update to the snapshot this weekend, but I haven't checked to see what it has. When available, it will be cross-platform.
Ummm...read the announcements....
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

jbrjake wrote:
nightstrm wrote:
Ummm...read the announcements....
I did so... after typing this post.
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

nightstrm wrote: Decomb: Default (only available via patch against SVN code... this + VFR results in beautiful encodes)
nightstrm wrote: Advanced: cabac=0:ref=2:analyse=all:me=umh:subq=6:no-fast-pskip=1:trellis=1:mixed-refs=1:merange=32:level=30
Thanks nightstrm for being so helpful!!! I'm new to handbrake so this is helping me get started.

I installed the new snapshot. It looks like the snapshot lacks the ability to save presets??? Or, maybe there is a different way to go about that now???

I typed in your advanced code. Will it override all of the other settings in the advanced tab? Would you be so kind as to tell me how you have the advanced tab set up since it looks so different?

Also, I don't see anything called "decomb". Is the decomb filter just always enabled and doing it's thing or is the windows gui missing this?
jzietman
Enlightened

Post by jzietman »

The decomb option is in the picture settings window accessible from the "video" tab.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

megabyteme wrote:
nightstrm wrote: Decomb: Default (only available via patch against SVN code... this + VFR results in beautiful encodes)
nightstrm wrote: Advanced: cabac=0:ref=2:analyse=all:me=umh:subq=6:no-fast-pskip=1:trellis=1:mixed-refs=1:merange=32:level=30
Thanks nightstrm for being so helpful!!! I'm new to handbrake so this is helping me get started.

I installed the new snapshot. It looks like the snapshot lacks the ability to save presets??? Or, maybe there is a different way to go about that now???

I typed in your advanced code. Will it override all of the other settings in the advanced tab? Would you be so kind as to tell me how you have the advanced tab set up since it looks so different?

Also, I don't see anything called "decomb". Is the decomb filter just always enabled and doing it's thing or is the windows gui missing this?
If I am reading this correctly, you are using the Windows GUI, which I have absolutely no experience with. I'm not sure how presets are handled in it, but am sure someone else can chip in.
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

I think I got it all figured out. The advanced code gets intelligently changed as you change checkboxes and settings within the gui.

I'll look for decomb when i get home tonight.
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

jzietman wrote:The decomb option is in the picture settings window accessible from the "video" tab.
I don't see it...

TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

AFAIK, decomb has only been included in the Mac GUI... and even that is a bit of a kluge. :?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

It's in the CLI, it's not like he can't pass --decomb on as an extra argument.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

TedJ wrote:AFAIK, decomb has only been included in the Mac GUI... and even that is a bit of a kluge. :?
I beg your pardon. ;)
milkem

Post by milkem »

Just a quick thanks to NightStrm for the help. And to jbrake and all the devs making it possible. Much appreciatated
milkem

Post by milkem »

Just noticed it's jbrjake, sorry. It's hard not to say "j-brake" in my mind given the obvious reason. Either way, you guys are doing a whole lot of people a whole lot of help in enjoying their media. Thanks a ton.
nate247

Post by nate247 »

jbrjake wrote:It's in the CLI, it's not like he can't pass --decomb on as an extra argument.
Well I have pretty much copied the above settings in to my Mac version of the latest Handbrake (ready to start ripping my DVD collection to Apple TV). Is this Decomb thing essential with these settings as I too cannot find an option. Sorry to be a complete spanner but want to get things right before I start ripping my first DVD to the Library :-) lol

From what I understand from the above quote, do you mean I can add this Decomb malarky in to the code string to have the desired effect?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

nate247 wrote:Well I have pretty much copied the above settings in to my Mac version of the latest Handbrake (ready to start ripping my DVD collection to Apple TV). Is this Decomb thing essential with these settings as I too cannot find an option. Sorry to be a complete spanner but want to get things right before I start ripping my first DVD to the Library :-) lol

From what I understand from the above quote, do you mean I can add this Decomb malarky in to the code string to have the desired effect?
Hmm...so if you are about to go on an encoding spree for the appleTV, did you read this thread yet?

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5129
nate247

Post by nate247 »

Mate... I have been reading this forum since 10am and am going a little mad I think with info overload.

I have a general understanding now about what different things do etc but the code string part I am struggling with.

I presume the best way to encode a DVD for Apple TV is to stick with a similar resolution as the source? Then constant quality of 64(ish) once you then setup the audio (and providing you are not copying concert / music DVD's) you should then be able to post on of the kindly suggested code strings in to the advanced box and away you go???
jzietman
Enlightened

Post by jzietman »

nightstrm wrote:Audio + Subtitles
Track 1: English (AC3) (Dolby Surround) <-- if available, otherwise use English (AC3) (5.1)
- Audio Codec: AAC (faac)
- Mixdown: Stereo (due to a bug, this retains the original dolby surround encoding -- I'd rather keep the studio mix)
- Samplerate (khz): 48
Is this bug still present? I'm now ripping the Firefly series, and I'd love to keep the discs' studio dolby surround mix.

edit: never mind, some more searching answered my question
msmart

Post by msmart »

Windows XP

Source: TiVo files edited with VideoReDo saving as mpeg.

Target: iPod 5G and Nano

Goal: Minimal file size while retaining decent quality

CLI: HandbrakeCLI.exe" -i %input_variable% -o %output_variable% -e x264b30 -E faac -w 320 -b 384 -r 25 -x keyint=300:keyint-min=30:bframes=0:cabac=0:ref=1:vbv-maxrate=384:vbv-bufsize=2000:analyse=all:me=umh:subme=6:no-fast-pskip=1 -B 160 -R 48

This is a minor adjustment of the iPod Low Rez preset. It outputs good quality video while reducing the file size allowing more files to be downloaded to the iPod.
megabyteme

Post by megabyteme »

TedJ wrote:AFAIK, decomb has only been included in the Mac GUI...
Is decomb planned to be included in the Windows GUI for the final release of 0.9.3?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

megabyteme wrote:
TedJ wrote:AFAIK, decomb has only been included in the Mac GUI...
Is decomb planned to be included in the Windows GUI for the final release of 0.9.3?
Definitely, once jbrjake has finished tweaking and tuning it.

In the meantime, you should be able to pass the decomb option manually by adding it to the advanced options.