Should I resize my video before Handbrake?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
brianalex

Should I resize my video before Handbrake?

Post by brianalex »

Description of problem or question:I am doing some video editing with Vegas Pro and making short movies. The end result that I want to achieve is 720p. The original video recordings are 1920p. I have the option to resize during the export with Vegas after editing and wondering if I should be render the video as 1920 or 720? I will be running the exported Vegas video through Handbrake afterwards to minimize the file size. Does it make a difference if Handbrake starts with a large file and goes down to 720, or should I be taking a 720 file through Handbrake to achieve the same 720 end result? Which if any would be the better quality?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):1.1.0

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Deleted User 13735

Re: Should I resize my video before Handbrake?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

With downscaling it makes no appreciable difference. Generally speaking, export source from Vegas and do the work in Handbrake.
XAVC-I is a good export format from Vegas.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

May as well downsize in Vegas to make the export from Vegas faster, and the decode for HB faster.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Wouldn't it make sense to retain as much information as possible, thus export from Vegas at 1080?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Assuming you're doing some arbitrarily high quality or lossless export from Vegas, no, unless you think HB has a better scaler than Vegas.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

As we don’t know anything about the HB settings being used isn’t it best to get the highest quality source possible?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

rollin_eng wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:23 pmAs we don’t know anything about the HB settings being used isn’t it best to get the highest quality source possible?
As we don't know anything about much at all here, is it worth the extra time of the export & decode or the larger frame size?

Reasonable tradeoffs, not blind optimization.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

As the poster is concerned about quality shouldn't that be the optimization?
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

The downscaling method employed should not affect quality. Only the downscaling itself.
Upscaling is another kettle of fish.