New Feature: 10bit HDR to 8bit SDR tone mapping

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
WhyLee
New User

New Feature: 10bit HDR to 8bit SDR tone mapping

Post by WhyLee »

Description of problem or question:
With some equipment it is not possible to play 10bit HDR content the right way with different players the correct way.
the colors seem to be washed out.
in my case i tried different vlc versions and different rendering options: vlc 3.x and vlc 4.x (nightly builds), Potplayer with a samsung tv connected via hdmi.

so there is clearly a need to have a possibility to downconvert from 10/12 bit to 8 bit with a tonemapping function. as i understand the tonemapping in the washed out films with 10bit or 12bit color resolution is logarithmic to get even more quality out of 10bit. that means in a logarithmic tone mapping in darker areas you get a higher resolution compare to a linear tonemapping.
so implementing an inverse function to the logarithmic tone mapping (an exponential function) should probably to the trick and then simply cut away the lowest 2 bit and optionally do some dithering somehow to minimize the error from cutting out the lowest bits to get an 8-bit traditional tone mapping.

so we need a tone mapping from ITU-R BT.2020 and color transfer function SMPTE ST2084 down to the old BT.709 color space.

i found that ffmpeg already can do that: https://stevens.li/guides/video/convert ... th-ffmpeg/

it would be really great if you could implement such a feature in handbrake.

thank you guys and keep up the good work!

HandBrake version 1.1.1.
Operating system and version: dell latitude E5570 with windows 10 pro.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: New Feature: 10bit HDR to 8bit SDR tone mapping

Post by Woodstock »

Per the announcement that has been up for many months, where to post Feature Requests and Bug Reports:

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues
Deleted User 13735

Re: New Feature: 10bit HDR to 8bit SDR tone mapping

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Nonsense.
Handbrake's downsampling and dithering algorithms are already the best in the business. Much better than commercial nonlinear editors. If you are seeing washed out colors, it is a REC 709 flag mismatch, and nothing else.