Arrow bluray episode settings/encode time questions

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
NoobageEncoder

Arrow bluray episode settings/encode time questions

Post by NoobageEncoder »

I still need to watch a full episode to see how this encode is going to work out, but a side by side made me happy, It looks better cleaner less noise etc, with a big space savings.

I went from 5gb to 1.6gb to 2.0gb, This is with the DTSHD track.

Settings: anamorphic and cropping auto, decomb defualt, nlmeans medium tune: none, LapSharp Medium tune: none, deblock 5, x264, 30fps w/ peak framerate, RF 22, preset medium, profile high, level 4.0.

The thing is it takes 3.5-4 hours for for a 40 Min episode.

I think I really like the output, it looks better than Netflix and bluray. I was a surprised when I seen how much grain was in this show vs what i was seeing when viewing on Netflix.

Anyway to speed this up but keep the same quality of video to my eye? Still not sure 100% on the mechanics of everything here, but 2-2.5 hour blurays take this long and thats with a higher rf (18)and no filters seems decomb is set to default.Looking for input before I get to far along and have to redo a mass amount of files.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Arrow bluray episode settings/encode time questions

Post by mduell »

In general, pick faster settings and adjust the quality target appropriately.

For help with a specific encode, it's best to provide the encode log. Otherwise we're left guessing at what you actually did and what actually happened.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Arrow bluray episode settings/encode time questions

Post by Woodstock »

Experiment (adult word for "play").

Pick a chapter of an episode. Encode it using different presets, recording which preset you used for which file. Try different RF values.

Watch the resulting files back to back, to see if you detect the changes.

And if you have questions, post logs so we know EXACTLY how handbrake was configured; you only remember what you changed, and there might be things that changed as a consequence of your settings.

By the way - if your source is BD, you can speed things up by NOT using denoise filtering, because the source SHOULD be "clean" - any noise would be there by design. NLmeans is a rather slow process.