Film grain on bluray, proponents of de-noise, To de-noise or not. Whats your settings?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
NoobageEncoder

Film grain on bluray, proponents of de-noise, To de-noise or not. Whats your settings?

Post by NoobageEncoder »

So as I am reviewing my blurays, I am finding a lot of film grain. Most of my stuff atm is older movies. I know it means it a good transfer... I am going to do some test on my viewing distance If I cant make out the grain, I think I may de-noise.

Seems the grain is whats causing issue with high bit rates from time to time. I know de-noise and deblock helps video quality tons for my dvd cartoons from the 1980-2000.

To me blurays should be this crystal clear image like when filmed with digital camera I know not all movies use this type of camera, and most older stuff is still on film.

To me film grain takes away from the video. It seems I will get 2 benefits from de-noise , lower storage and cleaner video. I understand it can scrub away some details, So my question to those who are proponents of de-noise what are your suggested settings? would moving the preset from medium to slow or slower help de-noise? It seems from what I was reading that people who de-noise also use lap sharpen.

I will be viewing most of this movies for the first time, I am just now getting time in my life for "movie nights".

Below are some old movies im not sure if I should de-noise from the bluray what do you think.

God father (s)
Due hard (s)
Batman (s)
Predator (s)
Scarface
The mummy (s)

It was odd to see that CW arrow series was full of film grain, Its newer and all ways looked nice on netflix, I jumped to bluray for better sound and to get better video as my net can stream 1080.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Film grain on bluray, proponents of de-noise, To de-noise or not. Whats your settings?

Post by mduell »

NoobageEncoder wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:41 pmTo me blurays should be this crystal clear image like when filmed with digital camera I know not all movies use this type of camera, and most older stuff is still on film.
There are plenty of eminent filmmakers who disagree with you.
NoobageEncoder wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:41 pmTo me film grain takes away from the video. It seems I will get 2 benefits from de-noise , lower storage and cleaner video. I understand it can scrub away some details, So my question to those who are proponents of de-noise what are your suggested settings? would moving the preset from medium to slow or slower help de-noise? It seems from what I was reading that people who de-noise also use lap sharpen.
Use nlmeans with the film tune if you want to denoise out grain. Changing encoder presets won't help. Don't use the encoder preset for film/grain unless you want to preserve film grain.
NoobageEncoder

Re: Film grain on bluray, proponents of de-noise, To de-noise or not. Whats your settings?

Post by NoobageEncoder »

Oh yes, I know this is a split topic. I thought I was on board with grain after reading about the god father, and what happened to predator. After seeing movies with no grain, then with grain It feels SD not HD. Also ADD/OCD and it bugs the crap out of me.

Maybe I can live with it if I could learn what benefits we get from film grain, But as it stands now I prefer the new Digital no film movies with no grain. If I can get better than SD but not full HD because of some scrubbing of an old movie I think I might can live with that, that is until someone shows me how I am missing 10% of the experience or something then OCD will kick in LOL.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

In modern film making, using grain is "for effect". It is often artificially added. I have several movies and TV series where grain is added to denote, "This happened in the past".
NoobageEncoder

Post by NoobageEncoder »

mduell wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:08 pm
Use nlmeans with the film tune if you want to denoise out grain. Changing encoder presets won't help. Don't use the encoder preset for film/grain unless you want to preserve film grain.
Thanks mduell. So what your saying is using film/grain presets for encode will cause conflict with nlmeans?
What do you thank about using sharp lap setting when you denoise. I was reading some people use it at the same level as they have denoise setting. light light, medium medium.

Also to be clear the speed setting medium slow slower etc.. really does not affect video quality when using RF and this filters it just helps with storage? I can see that to get a video I like may take some time, if this settings help overall the others giving them more time to get there stuff right I will just live with the time cost.

Is there some info / web page / book that talks about stuff in more depth I have read documents that came with handbrake and few website but it just gives general overview. They do not go into how bframes effect playback, or like my question above. Or like the other post about interlacing.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

NoobageEncoder wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:33 pmSo what your saying is using film/grain presets for encode will cause conflict with nlmeans?
nlmeans is meant to remove grain, the film and grain encoder tunes are meant to preserve grain. The rest is self-explanatory.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

One is to remove film grain, the other is optimized for preserving it.

Changing preset has a small impact on the quality of a particular RF level.

The documentation for x264 and nlmeans are both readily available on google.