confused, bluray setting help for episodes .

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
NoobageEncoder

confused, bluray setting help for episodes .

Post by NoobageEncoder »

My goal is to chop down file size, but keep best quality. I have been doing good with movies, whacking them down to 10-15 gb with DTSHD / TureHD sound.

I been using, Encoder tune Film, Speed medium to slower(depending show and time), Profile high, Level 4.0, RF 18, Extra options Ref=5;bframes=5. Sure it maybe overkill, But I plan on shooting them to a 100" screen.

(I may go back and bump up my RF on movies that hit over 10GB and see how it looks projected after that. But just encase I get better gear I want abit higher bitrate for the movies anyways.)

episode of the Arrow, from bluray original file is 5.85GB 42min (15.9Mb/s to 30Mb/s).

use same settings I get: 5.93Gb file @ 20.Mb/s (first time I got a bigger file after 25 encodes)
Cut Rf to 20 I get 4.14GB File @13.9Mb/s

Is there a reason the same settings is not whacking 40-50% off the file like it does for the movies?

What recommendations do you have for bluray episodes, trying to lower file size but keep good quality?
I know the DTSHD is ~670MB, I know this show is fast paced and dark at times, does it really need that much bitrate?

Thanks for all the help guys, You have been very patient with me.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: confused, bluray setting help for episodes .

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
NoobageEncoder

Post by NoobageEncoder »

Sure, But what logs? just of arrow, or of all there, whole set of episodes from cartoons, 10-20 movies. and now arrow.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Whatever you are trying to compare.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The output size depends on your settings AND your source. I can run RF=20 on an anime BD source, and get 80% or better compression. Same settings on a live action title might net 30%. If the source is grainy, output size goes up, unless you filter out the noise.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

NoobageEncoder wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:19 amExtra options Ref=5;bframes=5.
Why?
NoobageEncoder

Post by NoobageEncoder »

Log files:
https://expirebox.com/download/b8587e70 ... 688b7.html
https://expirebox.com/download/d2342419 ... 6b664.html
https://expirebox.com/download/b396fdd3 ... 1dbba.html
https://expirebox.com/download/3d3a91b1 ... 69720.html

mduell wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:52 pm
Why?
There are no magical settings, but I started with a preset, I think I started with superHQ 1080p30 surround, then tweaked the sound encoder lvl and tune. The options was part of it, It worked. I used them.

I am shooting these movies to a 100" screen so they still have to look good. I would not mind droping file size more, but I am hopping some extra bitrate now means feature proof a bit longer.

I checked a few spots on the rf 18 vs the rf20 on the arrow and it Look the same(the output bitrate is high seems 13mbps). Tv shows will not get the big screen tho, just the LCD 40"-50" 6' to 12' foot viewing spot (based on quality of surround and how well rear stage is used), Still going to keep my HD sound thats part the reason for the bluray.

I am about to try a rf22 any suggestion when dealing with arrow?

Thanks for the comments.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

mduell wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:52 pm
Why?
The higher quality general presets use slower encoder presets. Slower encoder presets use many refs and bframes, exceeding compatibility parameters with a number of popular mobile devices.

Custom presets using these as a starting point will of course carry the additional options unless cleared, but this is a small price to pay for their benefit. In practice, these options allow enough encoding efficiency while keeping these general presets broadly compatible per their intent.

Unfortunately, max-ref and max-bframes do not exist, but that's another discussion.
NoobageEncoder

Post by NoobageEncoder »

Are you saying that the extra settings are good? I am using this with plex, they seem to stream with not transcoding to my roku and android phone.

I ran arrow at medium, rf22 saved a chunk 1.9gb with dtshd. I will be doing side by sides to see how much of A hit it has taken. I also ran de-noise but that a topic for another post.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

NoobageEncoder wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:26 pm Are you saying that the extra settings are good? I am using this with plex, they seem to stream with not transcoding to my roku and android phone.
More so I wanted to indicate where the additional options come from and why they were chosen. Glad to hear you're able to stream without transcoding; that's the idea, in essence.