Encoder speeds questions

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
NoobageEncoder

Encoder speeds questions

Post by NoobageEncoder »

I have been doing a lot of reading, and seeing a lot of charts. This seems to be my conclusion:

Slower encoder speeds for x264 when using constant quality (RF) 1 of these outcomes (listed in what I believe to be the most true to most false)

Slower speeds = smaller file size.
Slower speeds = better video quality
Slower speeds = smaller file size and maybe worse video quality

Going from medium to slow or slower Is maybe 2-3 extra GB of data saved but @ double or triple the time of medium.

So what is the deal?

My goal is to wack my blurays down to size, But fit them on my Hard drives. I have not seen most of them yet this will be my first time viewing them, but want to have the streaming setup For my home theater. I am okay with bigger sizes (half or less of original), and I am in no rush and could do 1 movie a night; but I do want to get started and would like to get 2 a night done.

I have done a lot of research On my viewing distance and Resolution, and have put a lot of thought in too this. Some movies I will be okay with some lose as I will not see it, But others I will want to minimize lose. Anything has to be better than what i was getting from Netflix. I just need to understand what the speeds are doing. I am running a test atm medium vs slower, but wanted others input in case I over looked something.

How many people work on handbrake, Is there a way to donate or by them a beer?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Encoder speeds questions

Post by mduell »

CRF isn't quite constant quality across different (speed) presets, so quality per size will improve with the slower presets, but the movement of quality and size varies.