Telecined material filter help.

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
NoobageEncoder

Telecined material filter help.

Post by NoobageEncoder »

First encode I learned on was Hard telecined. I could see lines easily on screen.

If i leave the settings I made for this encode the same will it just work for others that are not telecined?

From what I understand This is how you fix dvds that are telecined, and how to tell what they are.

fps settings:
same as source 25 fps or 30 fps (29.95)
same as source if 30 but has mixed inputs flim and video, but use vfr encoding
same as source for hard telecined

soft telecined or pull down flags use: ( you can tell based on FPS)
if footage is mixed with film and video rates you need to pick what one to use.
23.97 for film frame rate use
29.97 for video frame rate use
question to ask: both are in mixed videos, how do you pick know what to pick?

decomb only removes interlace it sees. aka it deinterlaces on some frames

deinterlace - same as decomb but does to all frames. (removed in newer version?)

I am working on old DVD cartoons atm and want to know if these setting below will work fine for me, if it is telecined it works if not it does nothing. Or do I need to know the difference and turn them off and on. Based on the info above?

decomb and detelecine set default
FPS VFR Same as source

Thanks for your time.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Telecined material filter help.

Post by mduell »

Yes, decomb default, detelecine default, same as source framerate, and VFR will generally do the right thing.
NoobageEncoder

Post by NoobageEncoder »

mduell wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:41 pm Yes, decomb default, detelecine default, same as source framerate, and VFR will generally do the right thing.
So if I left it as you have stated, As I have it now, It does not matter if its hard or soft telecined or if its not telecined? It will work when it needs too, and not work when its not needed?

It just may cost me a few mins of time on my dvds?

As far as I know Blurays do not have telecined stuff right?

Thanks for your time and input.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The detelecine filter is prone to false positive detection of telecine with PAL sources. When this happens it causes stutter in the encoded output. So I always turn it off for sources that I know are not telecined.
NoobageEncoder

Post by NoobageEncoder »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:16 pm The detelecine filter is prone to false positive detection of telecine with PAL sources. When this happens it causes stutter in the encoded output. So I always turn it off for sources that I know are not telecined.
Care to enlighten me on how to tell, or is my info about spot on in this regard?

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If it's 25fps, turn off detelecine.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

What mduell said... Also, I've never seen hard telecine in a 23.976 fps source (it's soft telecined if it's a DVD source). It would be very unusual for there to be a mix of hard and soft telecine in the same source.