Wondering why reencoders do not have this ?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
pzam
New User

Wondering why reencoders do not have this ?

Post by pzam »

I have tried lots video converters but none seem to really do what is needed.
what I need is way to take a lot of different spec videos and make them to fit in smaller space but still be visually appealing. I really don't care about all this bit-rate and frames stuff.
The program just need to ask me 3 questions what is the data transfer speed from my storage area and what is the resolution of my video playback device and the viewing distance.
Also even if my play back device is uhd 2160 does not mean i want to store videos in that resolution 480p is more than good enough to watch on a 50 inch screen from 6 feed away. I do admin that 2160 p looks better but I am not going to put my glasses on just to enjoy a few more dots on the screen.

I just think having a display size view distance and bandwidth makes more sense to pick video settings for converting. That is what we are manually doing to pick the settings we want anyway.

I noticed handbrake just has fixed frame rates now. I read why you did it but don't really understand what it will do if I set it to 480p 30 and encode a bunch of videos that are 1080 24, 1280 25, 1280 30, 2160 60 will it make them all at 30 fps or keep the lower fps to 24 25?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Wondering why reencoders do not have this ?

Post by Woodstock »

Because your request is highly subjective. "Good enough" means different things to different people.

As for what the presets say in their names, those are the LIMITS on those parameters - if you feed a 640x480 24 fps video to the 2160p60 preset, you'll get back a 640x480 24fps video.