Converting 4K movie results in desaturated/pale video

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Eug7

Converting 4K movie results in desaturated/pale video

Post by Eug7 »

I have several 4K movies. Attempting to convert to HEVC to shrink the file and adding to my Plex library results in a desaturated looking video. Playing the Blu-ray on the TV colors looks deep and lush as expected. Playing the Handbrake (converted to HEVC 3840 x 2160) file looks very pale. What is happening here.

I7 3770K
Nvidia GT 1030
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Converting 4K movie results in desaturated/pale video

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

High Dynamic Range (HDR) video is going to lose some of that color saturation when being processed with handbrake, because handbrake doesn't "do" HDR yet.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Please be aware, this forum is not for support or help related to HandBrake. Please keep such discussions to the Community Support forum sections.
Eug7

Post by Eug7 »

Hmm...Evidently, this is not a Handbrake issue necessarily. If I put the 4K file on the Vegas 14 timeline the video is totally blown out, washed out colors. If I put the file on the Xmedia Recode time line same thing. But, if I put the file on the Premiere timeline there's a lot more color saturation. Not quite as vivid as the original file.

Could surmise that Premiere is able to deal with the file better and the difference might be HDR. There's something inherent in the Blu-ray that the media tools can't handle. maybe it is HDR but the Premiere render is so much better than either Handbrake or Vegas.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The web says Premiere had HDR support added 3 years ago, so yes, it would be able to import and export HDR video.