Can I convert video files to mp3 files?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
guiri

Can I convert video files to mp3 files?

Post by guiri »

Guys, I have a bunch of files I've downloaded from youtube which I would like to load on an mp3 player and send to my mom
who is in a retirement home so that she can have some good music to listen to. The player will hold 8 gigs so quite a lot of music
but once you start doing video files, they take up so much more space. Will handbrake convert mp4 and other video files to sound
files only to save on size?

If not, is there any other software that will do it and that can do batch processing?

Most of my music is already in MP3 but I have a few hundred songs that I know she likes that I've gotten from youtube that I may want to convert.
Not sure if I need to until I'm done loading the player up but I thought I'd ask anyway, if not for now but for future use.

I have version 1.1.10

Thanks

George
Bigo2
Novice

Re: Can I convert video files to mp3 files?

Post by Bigo2 »

You don't need the Handbrake, download the program called My MP4Box GUI e.g. here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/My-MP4Box-GUI
Using this little nice free program you can quickly demux (extract) supported files (mp4, avi, mov, ts, idx/sub, srt) to their raw formats, so from the YouTube mp4 video you can get the audio part. It will be probably audio file in AAC file format. Google how to convert AAC to mp3, you should be able to find freeware program which will quickly convert it. That's all...
guiri

Post by guiri »

Ok, so a two step process?

First extract the audio and then convert to mp3?

Does the proggy do batch processing?

Thanks

George
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Yes, there are two steps, you need to convert the audio part to mp3, unless the audio format in the mp4 container already is mp3.
I'm not sure about the batch processing, check the site I mentioned. However the program has some queue function so you probably could load your videos in it and it would process them.
guiri

Post by guiri »

Thanks again.

George