Available parameters for h265??

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
simonlefisch

Available parameters for h265??

Post by simonlefisch »

Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction of the parameters that are available for the "extra options" section of the video tab in HB when encoding with h265? I've always used specific parameters in the "advanced tab" when encoding with h264, but some of those parameters result in a failed encode when using h265. I've searched the interwebz and the HB documentation but have yet to find any info. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

BTW, I typically encode using HB CLI on my CentOS machine, but was trying h265 on HB with a GUI on a test machine running Windows 7.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Available parameters for h265??

Post by mduell »

Unless you really know what you're doing, applying arbitrary advanced options is generally a bad idea. Stick to the encoder preset and tune system.

x265 documentation, ignore the CLI only options since those are for x265cli.
simonlefisch

Post by simonlefisch »

Thank you @mduell!! This is what I was looking for. I didnt use alot of options when encoding with h264 so having this for h265 gives me an idea of what is still used. Seems like most of what I used in h264 can be used in h265. Many thanks!!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Doesn't mean they should be used. These are very different encoders and won't behave the same when you use the same setting (where supported).

There really is very little reason to use advanced options with either encoder. More often than not, we see folks messing with the x264 options, getting it wrong, claiming it's better when it's quite obviously either doing nothing, or making things worse. (I.e placebo effect).

In other words, if your going to mess around with this stuff, you better be prepared to spend an awful lot of time learning what these options actually do, how they interact with each other and trailing the effects.
simonlefisch

Post by simonlefisch »

So has the --threads parameter been removed? I'm unable to specify how many threads to use when encoding in h265. It works fine with h264.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Thread control is still available, but again, unless you really know what you're doing the defaults are a better idea.

That you are unable to locate the documentation and the options you want in it are signs to me you should not be specifying advanced options.
simonlefisch

Post by simonlefisch »

Actually I'm good with what I'm doing. As I said, there are only a few parameters (maybe eight) that I use that have worked well for me. Some of them didnt when trying out h265 but thats because something changed to where I had to enable a different parameter that wasnt there before in order for another parameter to work. After reading a bit more documentation that you provided, the --threads parameter is working now. Thanks for your help.