HDR10

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
NMF

HDR10

Post by NMF »

Currently playing around with ripping my growing collection of 4K Blu-rays and converting with Handbrake.

I know that Dolby Vision is currently not supported by the MKV container, but HDR10 works fine before conversion. I'm running into issues getting the HDR10 flag to show up after running through Handbrake though. I'm using the nightly build. MKV setting at x265 10-bit. The output file in MediaInfo still isn't labled HDR10.

Is that just a metadata labeling thing, or can Handbrake not handle HDR at the moment?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: HDR10

Post by mduell »

HB's video pipeline is 8 bit, so no.
Revan654
New User

Re: HDR10

Post by Revan654 »

NMF wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:51 pm Currently playing around with ripping my growing collection of 4K Blu-rays and converting with Handbrake.

I know that Dolby Vision is currently not supported by the MKV container, but HDR10 works fine before conversion. I'm running into issues getting the HDR10 flag to show up after running through Handbrake though. I'm using the nightly build. MKV setting at x265 10-bit. The output file in MediaInfo still isn't labled HDR10.

Is that just a metadata labeling thing, or can Handbrake not handle HDR at the moment?

Dolby Vision is a dual video format, MKV only supports single layer.

For HDR10 to show up you have to set allot of custom flags for HDR in x265 settings to become enabled(Including Max_CL and Master_Display numbers). The defaults settings will not work.

HandBrake isn't the Program that should be used for HDR encoding, due to the 8Bit pipeline. You want software that has 10Bit+.