Using Handbrake 0.10.5.0 64bit

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Kmcm

Using Handbrake 0.10.5.0 64bit

Post by Kmcm »

Sorry if this has been asked 1000 time, i have spent a few days Googling but not really found the optimum compression settings. I read it can cut down on file size by as much as 80% without noticeable degradation. My results are 45min file was 2.6GB and it reduced to 1.7.

But I see similar duration files, or more, at well under a gig.

Here are some of my settings

Container MP4 Web NOT optimised
Anamorphic Loose
Modulus 2
Cropping Automatic
Video Codec H.264 (X264)
Variable frame rate
Constant Quality 20 RF

Most things should be on their defaults, afaik.

Thanks for any help/feedback.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Using Handbrake 0.10.5.0 64bit

Post by rollin_eng »

First, update to the latest version.

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Lars Bolender
New User

Post by Lars Bolender »

First, update to the newest version, either 1.0.7 or 1.1.0 nightly.

Try these settings:

Denoise hqdn3d weak

H.265

Frame rate Same as source

Constant quality 21

Encoder preset Very Slow

Audio Codec AAC (Or AAC FDK if you compile yourself)

Bitrate 160

Mixdown Stereo
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

How much you can reduce size is entirely depending upon your source and YOUR judgement of "no degradation". All forms of compression that are not lossless involve some degradation of video/audio, including the compression that was done to create your source.

Some sources are easy to compress - animated features can compress by 90% without too much trouble. Some sources are hard to compress - fast action, lots of background detail in motion, "grain" used for a visual effect, et cetera, might only compress 10% before it becomes obvious that something is amiss.

I highly recommend you upgrade, and enter "Learn like a child" mode. You do not break anything by trying different settings of compression, filters, and such, and you do not have to encode a large video to test with. Start with the existing presets (there are a lot more in 1.1.x than 0.10.x!), and PLAY.

If certain things stump you, there's a nice "Community Support" section here, where we can help you with specific issues. "What's the best way ..." is not an easy question to answer, since we do not know your source material or your personal perceptions of "good" and "yuck" quality.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Please be aware, this forum is not for support or help related to HandBrake. Please keep such discussions to the Community Support forum sections.
Kmcm

Post by Kmcm »

I read the header but figured it must be wrong as the sub topic was General discussion of HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc. So to say not related to Handbrake is kind of contradictory.
Anyway, thanks for the replies, much appreciated/understood. I'll upgrade my version and have a play and good to have some details from Lars to try.