Do updates change how video is rendered?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
s_evans

Do updates change how video is rendered?

Post by s_evans »

When Handbrake is updated might the changes potentially alter the output even if using the same presets (or might some presets with the same name get different parameters). As as example, if I have a source video that was encoded using a supplied preset in 1.07, if I were to encode the exact same source video and select the same built-in preset in HB 1.1 would the output be identical or might it be different (I would assume improved).

As a comparison, if you edit a photo in Adobe Photoshop in one version, it looks the same in each subsequent update (which makes sense since a photograph doesn’t want an edited photo to change). From time to time Adobe does update the engine dictating how an image is rendered but you have to manually tell it to use the new engine.

Just curious before I ditch the original source material if it might be beneficial to rerun it thru HB.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Do updates change how video is rendered?

Post by Woodstock »

Will v1.1 create a byte-for-byte exact copy of a file as 1.0.7, using the exact same settings? Probably not, but they should be close.

Will the same preset in 1.1.0 be identical to the 1.0.7 version? Possibly, but some things are tweaked between versions.

Even with photoshop, unless you're doing a SCRIPTED edit, you're not going to make the exact same edits on a photo on multiple occasions.
s_evans

Post by s_evans »

OK, Thanks for the info.

As for Photoshop, that is true if you are re-editing an imagine, but what I meant was if you save an imagine that has various adjustments including Camera Raw, Levels, Curves etc. it will look the same if you open it in the future. In Camera Raw you can opt to change the process engine (2003, 2010, etc.) in camera calibration and it may effect how it looks but you have to manually change that.

Thx again.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

There are no significant changes to existing presets in the 1.1.0 release. That said, we updated nearly every internal library including audio and video encoders, so subtle improvements may be found. We don’t expect anything to be especially noticeable.