HandBrake 1.1.0 Discussion Thread

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
HandBrake

HandBrake 1.1.0 Discussion Thread

Post by HandBrake »

Thread to discuss the 1.1.0 release
Puti
New User

Re: HandBrake 1.1.0 Discussion Thread

Post by Puti »

Great release!

One thing though:
I just tried DNxHR 4k file. Still no support. :( Sad times for me....

Hanging for DNxHR support. Please please add.
LooneyBrunes
New User

Post by LooneyBrunes »

I used the new version this morning to convert some TV shows from DVD and I did not like the changes implemented into the UI. Specifically, moving the file name input to the bottom of the page and switching the add to queue and start queue buttons. It is a inefficient design and makes zero sense why it would be changed from where it was previously. It actually takes longer now to set up a queue than previous versions and that alone is a big fail. You now have to move your cursor up and down the page to setup your files and it literally takes twice as long to setup the same files in the previous version. Also, what gives with switching the add to queue button and start queue button? I kept wanting to click the start button because it is now in the wrong place. Regardless of what new features were added, I think the new version is an inefficient mess.
s_evans

Post by s_evans »

moving the file name input to the bottom of the page...It is a inefficient design
Maybe you are on Windows and that is how it appears for you but on my system (a Mac) the file OUTPUT appears at the bottom which makes complete sense to me; input at top, parameters/option in the middle and output at the bottom (maybe if I was in Australia I would want the direction reversed).

Besides that I don't see how it makes any difference, at least the way I process the videos. I drag the input video anywhere in the window and HB analyzes it and automatically configures the output. I don't see how it could be any easier. I drag the video onto the window up near the top and click on the 'Add to Queue' which is less than a few millimetre away. Heck I could do it even faster if I wanted (although 1 second seems fast enough to me) by dragging the input video into the window with one hand and with the other hand pressing Command/Alt B to add it to the queue and not even move the mouse (but that wouldn't work for me since I likely have a glass of wine in the other hand)

Personally I appreciate the many hundreds of hours the volunteers put into the program, adding features, fixing bugs, improving the video quality, making it more efficient, etc. If they opted to reverse the order of two buttons I can learn to deal with that.
y2kse

Post by y2kse »

I posted a thread in the Windows section about crashes I'm getting with 1.1.0. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37622
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

The feature request for DNxHR should probably go to the libav team. My request to them for DNxHD 444 was implemented, but it took almost two years.

Meanwhile, try out XAVC-I as your intermediate format. Plays nicely with Handbrake.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

In all likelyhood we will be moving to ffmpeg in the not so distant future so if they already have support, we should get it for free
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Nice to know.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

s55 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 pm In all likelyhood we will be moving to ffmpeg in the not so distant future so if they already have support, we should get it for free
Interesting, is there a reason for this?

I thought libav was preferred due to stability over ffmpeg at the cost of features, has something changed?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

People want features.
Mitch074

Post by Mitch074 »

One thing that has annoyed me for a long time: some filters (deblocking and denoising, especially) will tax a core 100%, leaving all other cores waiting - I have a 4.2 GHz Core i5 4670K. The way I see it, filtering a single frame will take more time than the 3 other cores take to compress it.

Up until version 1.0.7, I worked around this limitation by essentially running 2 Handbrake queues in parallel. This is no longer possible, as a new Handbrake process will run the older's currently running queue too (resulting in overwritten files without warning - note, this is a serious bug).

So, what can I do?
- should I create queues and then run through the CLI and hope for the best?
- do you think Handbrake could start filtering several images in parallel, say, one per core?
- could you make sure that parallel Handbrake processes don't overwrite each other's files, or better, would be able to detect that another process is running and go to the next job in the common queue?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake does still support multiple instances. On windows, if you launch a 2nd instance, press No when prompted to recover and you'll get a second unique queue file. Mac, while sharing a file, should be able to have 2 processes share it without overwrite.
lyncher
New User

Post by lyncher »

upgraded to 1.1.0 and I have to say that I very much like all the changes to the GUI. I find it more efficient than the previous interface particularly when I'm queueing several extractions (such as multiple episodes) from a single DVD. No complaints on anything. Kudos all around!

well done!!
mjoshd
New User

Post by mjoshd »

I find the changes to the overall layout to be aesthetically pleasing and I don't mind the button rearrangement but I can't seem to find a long-standing feature.

What happened to the ability to export and import queue files (.hbq)?

Ever since Windows found it was in my best interest to reboot the computer whenever they like I have found that backing up my queue has been a lifesaver as the automatic queue restore doesn't always seem to work for me.

Additionally, there may be a bug in this new release related to sending a queued item back to the main window for editing... I have tried this with 3 finished jobs, that I wanted to tweak the settings and re-encode. Each time I try to send one back to the main window it stops importing between 70-100%, after which I have to cancel and re-build the job from scratch.

If I just add an item to the queue and send it back to the main window then everything works as intended, this has only affected completed jobs which I wanted to re-encode with different settings. This is another instance where being able to restore my queue from a file, which was there in the last release, would be a very appreciated feature.

Any ideas?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The HBQ format was removed. So far, the only users that were using that have noticed it go, where using it in ways it was never intended for and not something we want to support.

If you believe queue recovery and/or edit jobs is not working, please raise an issue ticket on our github issue tracker. There are currently no issues listed for either feature.
Ayoross
Novice

Post by Ayoross »

s55 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:57 pm The HBQ format was removed. So far, the only users that were using that have noticed it go, where using it in ways it was never intended for and not something we want to support.
The HBQ format was a very convenient way to alter the settings of a batch encode. If it was not intended for saving/restoring a queue, I wonder for what it was intended.
Anyway, it is still possible to do it by saving the GUI queue, then rerun it with the CLI, but that's not very ergonomic ... Why not allowing the GUI queue to import a json export ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The fact folks are even using the feature in this way, tell us.

a) They are using the GUI Incorrectly or in an abnormal way, or
b) The GUI has a deficiency that would be better addressed than adding back a feature that hides the problem.

Maintaining the feature is burdensome and I'd rather invest time in areas that add real value than hide problems.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

There is more than two possibilities for desiring the ability to export AND import a queue. Especially if you're experimenting.

If you want to break it down to just two options, then the "deficiency in the GUI" is having a way to easily bulk-change a queue that you made an error while creating.

As an example, you created a queue of the 366 episodes of a show, but forgot to set subtitles up right. If you could export the queue, edit the JSON with a text editor to add/change the subtitle parameters, then load the queue back up, that would (usually) be faster than clearing the queue and re-adding each file to it with the corrected setting.

This is why the majority of my usage is batch files driving the CLI... The GUI is just too cumbersome when dealing with a lot of files.

One of these days, I'll have to set aside the time to create a program to read a JSON queue and create a CLI batch file that will do the same thing....
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There are better ways we could solve batch changes imo than expect users to deal with editing files.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Woodstock wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:06 pmAs an example, you created a queue of the 366 episodes of a show, but forgot to set subtitles up right. If you could export the queue, edit the JSON with a text editor to add/change the subtitle parameters, then load the queue back up, that would (usually) be faster than clearing the queue and re-adding each file to it with the corrected setting.
Fix the preset, and choose add all to queue?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

mduell wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:53 pm
Woodstock wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:06 pmAs an example, you created a queue of the 366 episodes of a show, but forgot to set subtitles up right. If you could export the queue, edit the JSON with a text editor to add/change the subtitle parameters, then load the queue back up, that would (usually) be faster than clearing the queue and re-adding each file to it with the corrected setting.
Fix the preset, and choose add all to queue?
What if not all items use the same preset?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

:roll:
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

But, there are a lot of edge cases that any attempt to "fix" the GUI are still going to fail to address, but "edit a file" still works as a fall back.

And as for "fix the preset, and chose add all to queue", the example I gave would fail that. Those 366 episodes vary from having 1 to 6 episodes per source file, usually with 5 but sometimes 4 or 6 chapters per episode. While the video/audio/subtitle tracks within each have the same configuration, the chapter range varies.

Personally, I do not think it is worth the time for the handbrake team to try to address this kind of edge case in the GUI. It's not something 99% of the users are ever going to see. But it is something that the ability to import a modified queue could deal with.