Highest quality decomb settings?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Daz
Experienced

Highest quality decomb settings?

Post by Daz »

Hi, I'm using decomb with preset and detection set to default but I'm reading that bob is better quality. Is that true? There are also a lot of other decomb options, which settings will give the best quality if speed is not a concern?

I'm sure the documentation had some decomb info but it looks like it's been moved to a new system and has not yet been filled in.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Highest quality decomb settings?

Post by Woodstock »

Some discussion on handbrake, deinterlacing, and decomb with the "bob" option, from 4 years ago:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170093
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

Thanks! Before I give it a read, is the information in that thread still relevant, or am I going to confuse myself further with out of date info?
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

That is actually one of the threads I already read before posting here. It did nothing but confuse me, maybe I'm being stupid.

Can anyone explain the decomb option offered in the current handbrake and recommend the highest quality settings?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Personally, I'd play with the settings and see what looks good to you. Pick a source with a lot of motion, pick a section of that source, and encode it with various settings, and see what looks best.

When I have interlaced sources, "Fast 1080p 30" is a decent place to start. You can try the different deinterlace options. For me, "decomb, default" work adequately, but I get some jerky panning with those settings. That would seem to be unacceptable to you, so you will probably move directly to "decomb, bob".
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

The EEDI2 decomb presets are slightly higher quality but come with a significant encoding speed penalty.