Passthrough HEVC HDR settings when resizing?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
AndreeOnline

Passthrough HEVC HDR settings when resizing?

Post by AndreeOnline »

Hi gang.

I have a BluRay rip in UltraHD, 10 bit and HDR.

I'd like to recompress this to HD, but maintain 10 bit and HDR.

I'm using h.265 10-bit and I'm using the 'additional options' to tune the encoding. I'm getting a 10-bit file and the correct color primaries bt.2020 and matrix coefficient bt.2020 non-constant, but I'm NOT getting the master display settings, transfer curve or color primaries in there.

I was using this:

strong-intra-smoothing=0:rect=0:hdr:hdr-opt:profile=main10:level-idc=5.0:colorprim=bt2020:transfer=smpte-st-2084:colormatrix=bt2020nc:max-cll="1016,342":master-display="G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(4000,0.0050)"

I'd actually just want to passthrough whatever the original file uses and resize it. Any suggestions that takes less code or how to improve the "additional options"?

Many thanks.
AndreeOnline

Re: Passthrough HEVC HDR settings when resizing?

Post by AndreeOnline »

OK, so I actually found out that leaving all options empty kind of did what I was looking for. The reason this didn't work the first time was that I realised too late that I had the h.265 encoder selected and not the h.265 10-bit.

With the h.265 10-bit, the correct 2020 gamut gets transferred including the PQ transfer characterisics.

I'm still missing:
  • Mastering display color primaries : BT.709
  • Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
  • Maximum Content Light Level : 1274* cd/m2
  • Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 315* cd/m2
You can see in my first post how I tried to implement them. Any ideas/knowledge on how to add this?

*=example
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
AndreeOnline

Post by AndreeOnline »

rollin_eng wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:26 pm Could you please post your logs
Hi! OK, I'll consider that as a next step.

In the meantime I'll re-phrase my question a bit: fellow friends who are using HandBrake for HEVC HDR encodes: what additional options are you using to control your encodes? Are you also using the MediaInfo tool (separate free software) to verify the actual output?

Many thanks.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The problem with "what should I change?" questions is that you can't answer them until you know what is really being done.

Logs tell us that.

You tell us what you remember changing. You failed to tell us what preset you started changing. Presets differ in their settings.

So, do you want to participate in answering your question, or just irritate those who might be able to help?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Please be aware, this forum is not for support or help related to HandBrake. Please keep such discussions to the Community Support forum sections.
AndreeOnline

Post by AndreeOnline »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:14 pm The problem with "what should I change?" questions is that you can't answer them until you know what is really being done.
I understand.

I'm not asking for someone to change anything about my settings. I'm not asking for support in interpreting my log files. As I said above, I'm changing the approach and nature of the question, but don't feel I need to clutter the forum with another thread.

I'm waiting to see if there is anyone here who is also working with 10 bit HEVC HDR and then I'll ask them what they find to be a good solution. We need not base anything off of my settings above.

My latest conversions play as 10 bit HDR on my TV. The rest is fine tuning. I'm looking for a discussion on how to faithfully integrate meta data about Max Content Light Level, Maximum Frame-Average Light Level and Master Display Luminance and Color Primaries.