MKV Framerate & file size: Feature? Bug?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Saibashi
New User

MKV Framerate & file size: Feature? Bug?

Post by Saibashi »

I've been using Handbrake for many years, but this is my first time on the forum, because I ran into a head-scratcher. I downloaded 1.0.7 (Windows 64 bit) after using an older version, and decided to check out the new presets. I've been using MKV and H.265 for a while, so decided to do a little testing with the new MKV H.265 presets, changing the constant quality, resolution, and framerate, to see which settings would work best for my home videos. I was a little surprised to see the MKV presets were set to 30fps (peak) framerate, so I encoded several files at both 30fps (peak) and "same as source" 60fps (variable). I assumed the 60fps would be larger, or at the very least the same size (if there was something wrong with my camera and it was taking video at 30fps).

To my surprise, with all other things equal, the 60fps (same as source, variable) was ALWAYS significantly smaller than the 30fps (peak), by roughly 25-30%. I tried it at different resolutions, different "constant quality" settings, I even tested it on MKV H.264 encoding, and the 60fps was always significantly smaller.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a reason the presets were set to 30fps?

Regardless, I plan to use "same as source" (60fps variable) framerate to encode my videos. I hope sharing this experience will help make Handbrake better, by either figuring out the encoding issue, or just updating the presets.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: MKV Framerate & file size: Feature? Bug?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Re: MKV Framerate & file size: Feature? Bug?

Post by mduell »

Please be aware, this forum is not for support or help related to HandBrake.

Your questions regarding a specific outcome with specific settings on a specific encode belong in the Community Support forum sections, with the appropriate documentation to enable support.