General Expectations for H.265

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
electricOzone

General Expectations for H.265

Post by electricOzone »

Hello all!

I received my Asus BW-16D1HT several days ago and am finally working on encoding some proper UHD rips.

I'm using the following settings for my first UHD encode:
H.265 10-bit
RF: 23
Constant Framerate
Constant Quality
Preset: veryslow
Tune: None
Profile: auto

Now, I understand H.265 is very CPU-intensive, and that that is only compounded by using H.265 on UHD files. I'm seeing about 110h for a feature-length movie. Does that fall in line with what others are seeing? I'm running an i7-6700K.

First movie is Guardians of the Galaxy Pt.II, then on to Dunkirk and Bram Stoker's Dracula!
Saibashi
New User

Re: General Expectations for H.265

Post by Saibashi »

I'm using a slightly older processor and 1080 resolution but, no 110 hours doesn't surprise me with your setup. You might want to take a minute of your original source file, and fiddle around with the encoding settings to find a version that's high enough quality, and takes a reasonable amount of time. I'd start with the video processing speed preset (there's a reason they call it "very slow"!) On ultrafast, I usually get 15fps processing speed at 1080, which gets the processing speed to 4x the video length (an insanely long amount of time compared to h.264, but worth it for the file size). If you don't like the quality, bump the RF down to 22 or 21.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You picked veryslow settings, on a slow encoder, with high res content... yea, days is not a surprise.