How I got smooth playing MKV from miniDV AVI

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
manicpickle

How I got smooth playing MKV from miniDV AVI

Post by manicpickle »

I am re-converting my miniDV tapes from raw AVI to MKV using Handbrake 1.07. I noticed no matter what I tried, I could not get the resulting MKV/MP4 to play as smoothly as the source AVI. The AVI appeared to have a smoother frame rate even though both files showed a 29.97 frame rate in file details.

Finally I figured out the solution. I set Video > Framerate to 59.94.

This was the only setting that produced an MKV that played as smoothly as the source AVI.

I then discovered that if I selected Video > Framerate > Peak Framerate, the file still played smoothly but showed as 29.97 fps in details and was slightly smaller. If you do not do that, the frame rate will show as 59.94 and the file size will be larger (in my test, a 9mb file gained 2mb with constant framerate).

Can someone explain to me why I had to do this 59.94 / Peak Framerate trick to properly convert my raw Sony miniDV AVI files to MKV so they played as smoothly?
BradleyS

Re: How I got smooth playing MKV from miniDV AVI

Post by BradleyS »

Maybe, but we will need to see the activity log from the encode; otherwise, it’s a stab in the dark.
manicpickle

Post by manicpickle »

OK so here's an update on this issue.

I found out I do not need to set framerate to 59.94 to get the same smooth AVI framerate on my MKV conversion.

Instead, I have to do two things: set framerate to "same as source" and set deinterlance to Yadif + Bob.

This creates a more reasonably sized MKV that includes smooth playback just like the AVI source.

Note that setting framerate to 29.97 on these miniDV AVI source files does not work. If I set deinterlace to Decomb + Bob, it doesn't work either. It has to be both "same as source" and Yadif + Bob, at least on my miniDV files pulled via firewire from my Sony Handycam.

I hope that helps someone else. Now onto recompressing 20+ hours of miniDV...
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Yea, bobbing is the best way to handle interlaced content if you don't mind the resulting framerate and filesize.