OPUS: am I becoming paranoid?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
TabalugaDragon

OPUS: am I becoming paranoid?

Post by TabalugaDragon »

I have been using opus as my main audio codec for months now, and have been very much impressed with it's compression efficiency, in fact I don't want to use anything else for stereo anymore.
There is only one thing that bothers me though - I heard that one of it's main features is smaller delay than other audio codecs(like 10 ms instead of 100) which is great for audiocalls, but at the same time could cause bad synchronization for movies, in case if original audiofile had 100 ms delay
But I also heard that opus supports normal delay around 100 ms like other audio codecs, moreover, in this case it's compression efficiency is higher.
But I started noticing something - whenever I watch movies with opus audio it seems as if audio is a little bit ahead of the video, and it's driving me nuts and causes headaches, such tiny desynch if it exists is really hard to notice but it's super annoying.. Is it true or I'm just being paranoid here?
Does opus in handbrake really have smaller delay than other audio codecs(like aac) and therefore causes the audio not being in like with video? please someone help
Last edited by TabalugaDragon on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradleyS

Re: OPUS: am I becoming paranoid?

Post by BradleyS »

You may be confusing audio delay in terms of time to playback and audio delay in terms of sync with video. The latency of the decoder should not affect the actual sync much if at all, so if you’re noticing drift it’s probably unrelated.

Anyway, provide an activity log and we can take a closer look at an encode to see if there are any obvious concerns.
TabalugaDragon

Re: OPUS: am I becoming paranoid?

Post by TabalugaDragon »

since I received no reply in handbrake support topic, I'll just post logfile in here
https://pastebin.com/sfAabUyb