Subtitles with Chapter names only

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
YJDax
New User

Subtitles with Chapter names only

Post by YJDax »

Hi all,

recently i noticed that Handbrake seems to add a subtilte track on its own and that track only contains the Chapter Names, not really subtitles.

As an example, i ripped a DVD with DVD Decrypter to disk, then transcoded the movie with handbrake. Handbrake shows 3 subtitle tracks

- "Foreign Audio scan"
- "1 English (VobSub)"
- "2 English (VobSub)"

from which i select only 2: Foreign scan (Forced only, Burned in) and "1 English (VobSub)" (not forced and burned).

When i watch the MP4 in VLC, it shows 3 sub options:
- Deactivated, which shows the Forced and Burned in "Foreign Audio Scan" as expected
- A track called "Title 1 - [English]" which contains the english subtitles, as expected
- And another track called "Title 2 - [English]", which contains the Chapter titles only and quite literally (e.g. "Chapter 1"), and which i did not expect.

The Codec-Information in VLC also shows 3 subtitle tracks, one with codec "DVD subtitles" in English and two more tracks, both with Codec "tx3g" in English.

The Activity Log in Handbrake only shows 2 subtitle tracks:
"Subtitle": {
"Search": {
"Burn": true,
"Default": false,
"Enable": true,
"Forced": true
},
"SubtitleList": [
{
"Burn": false,
"Default": false,
"Forced": false,
"ID": 1,
"Offset": 0,
"Track": 0
}

Where does the third subtitle track come from and how do i get rid of it?

YJDax
Deleted User 11865

Re: Subtitles with Chapter names only

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It's the MP4 chapter track -- if you don't want it, uncheck "create chapter markers" in HandBrake.