Hardware encoding an option?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
ProDigit
New User

Hardware encoding an option?

Post by ProDigit »

Hi,

I have an Intel Core i7, and on other DVD ripping and encoding software, the system can make use of hardware encoding.
This speeds up the encoding between 3 to 4 times!
I wondered if there's something similar planned, on handbrake?

Like, if you would start somewhere, I think you'll have most success with an Intel Core i series graphics driver, as it is currently the most common graphics chipset on the market; found in most laptops and pcs.

For reference, my other DVD software, on my quad core 2.65Ghz Core i7, does about 140fps when encoding older TV episodes encoded at 640x480i, but does the same at 214fps via hardware (intel).
It does 50fps when encoding 480p DVDs (576 resolution with black bars); but does those DVDs at 143fps via hardware.

Overall that's roughly a 2,5x speed improvement!
Deleted User 11865

Re: Hardware encoding an option?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You can use the "Intel QSV" encoder in HandBrake -- the video encoding itself will be hardware-accelerated, but audio, as well as video decoding and processing will still be CPU-based.
dazbobaby

Re: Hardware encoding an option?

Post by dazbobaby »

I have a 6600K with intel 530 GPU, I can tell you now that you can encode HEVC H.265 at around 100FPS using intel QSV and handbrake, and that's a 1920*1080 movie.