Encoding Quality RF

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
bdp

Encoding Quality RF

Post by bdp »

I have a number of blu Ray rips that are 1080 x264 compressed down to about 2 GB. I am currently using Handbrake to burn in the forced subtitles and was wondering about the appropriate quality RF setting. If I use a lower number and the new file is larger than the original is that a waste since the original determines the best potential quality or is Handbrake capable using a compressed file and getting it closer to the original lossless? Thanks
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Encoding Quality RF

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

It is best to start with original rips from the BDs if you are concerned about quality. There is no way to get back the quality that was lost in the original encode down to that 2GB.

We have zero information on how much compression was used; 2GB is a high quality result for a 25 minute anime episode, and it is usually a low-quality encode of a 2 hour action movie.
bdp

Post by bdp »

Woodstock thanks for the reply. I assumed that I couldn't do any better but just wanted to make sure before I wasted a bunch of HD space