CC/Subtitles Question

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jisuva

CC/Subtitles Question

Post by jisuva »

Hi everyone, new to the forum...

Scenario:
Ripping a DVD in English with Spanish speakers to mp4. When burning in English CC, the CC simply states ["Person's name" speaking Spanish] during foreign language dialog. When burning in the forced subs for Spanish, the dialog is translated from Spanish to English, but the native English is not subtitled. This all works fine, as it should, without error.

Problem:
I'm creating the mp4 for someone who is hearing impaired, so they actually need both the CC and the forced sub translation. I know Handbrake will only do 1 burn in at a time, but is there a way to combine both the CC and the subtitles? Open to suggestions!

System details:
Handbrake 1.0.7.0 and Windows 10 (also have access to OS X if needed)

Log:
Not sure if this is really needed, since Handbrake is working fine/as intended, but here it is!
https://pastebin.com/embed_js/JLwxTUYk
Deleted User 11865

Re: CC/Subtitles Question

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The DVD looks like it only has one English subtitle track? I guess text-based CC don't show up in the scan log.

It may be possible to have one track burned-in (preferably the bitmap-based DVD subtitle track) and the other as soft subtitles, but that assumes the user's playback device supports MP4 soft subtitles. What's he using for playback?

There may still be the issue of overlapping subtitles, as the tracks may not be authored to be enabled concurrently.