Change GUI language

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
runik

Change GUI language

Post by runik »

Hi!

My mom is starting to edit videos with her laptop, she has a cooking blog from 7 years ago, and she wants to upload some videos to Youtube. She wants to convert them in lower size but... she doesn´t understand any english. I know that the interface of HandBrake is very simple, but for a person that isn´t young, it is hard to deal with it. Is there any option to translate handBrake to Spanish? Is there any text file where can I translate the GUI?

Thank you for your help!
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Change GUI language

Post by s55 »

You'd have to alter the source code and compile yourself.

We don't currently support translation expect on the Linux UI, It may come in a future release but that'll be some ways off.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

@runik As Scott mentioned, only the Linux UI currently supports translation.

As a workaround, the nightly build (soon to be HandBrake 1.1.0) has new "Vimeo YouTube" presets. Perhaps you can install the nightly build for your mom and make one of those the default, so for the most part she only needs to load her video and hit start. I imagine she will recognize the name "YouTube" as well.
runik

Post by runik »

Hi guys, thank you for your replies!

I will try to solve the situation with the nightly build. But, you also have to think that there are some simple things like "patch" "folder" and other messages that a non reader english doesn´t understand at all. It is a pitty that a very good program like HandBrake with a very simple interface and very few words, it isn´t translated in the Windows version.

I have to say that I installed Ubuntu in my mom´s laptop some years ago, but when it crashes twice with a system update, you become crazy.

[Link redacted by Moderator]