subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
timbo2410

subtitles

Post by timbo2410 »

Hi all, just downloaded Handbrake and need some help. I have some MKV movie files that have subtitles written in them. They are not stand alone SRT files or anything. The movie and subs are all in one package. Now I don't want to alter anything in the movie at all .. not frame rate, sound, or quality ... all i want to do is learn to put in English subtitles (hard code i think it's called). Say, for instance, I have Apocalypto .. I can see in Handbrake that it has subtitles in many languages. I select "English" and "hardcode" .. I started the process (4 hours!!) and at the end .. it was no different .. no subs ??? What am I doing wrong ??
I guess what I really need are the settings to "NOT" adjust anything else and put in the hardcoded subs .. any help would be fantastic :-)
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: subtitles

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

no problem .. I just have to wait for it to finish .. I'm trying a different setting (no .. I don't know what I'm doing)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake is not the tool your looking for. You need a muxing tool if all you want to do is adjust subtitles.
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

the subs are already written in the file .. so what do I use then?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Until we see the logs, we don't know what you selected.

"Hard code" means "burn in" in handbrake's vocabulary. And that requires re-encoding the file to do, since you're asking to have the subtitles drawn on the video itself.

Whether or not you've selected the correct subtitle track is probably the big issue, and the logs will help us understand that.