What's the status for Quick Sync deinterlacing?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
raspberry

What's the status for Quick Sync deinterlacing?

Post by raspberry »

First, thanks for making such a quality piece of software. It has saved me so many hours, and has helped me efficiently build my collection over time.

I had a question about the future of QSV in Handbake. At one point before the 1.0 release, users had the ability to configure Quick Sync deinterlacing with a custom option of "QSV". It doesn't seem to be working now.

Is there currently any option to use QSV deinterlace? And if so, are there configuration options? For example, my current project (a 1080i sporting event) is typically best converted using yadif bob to 59.94 fps. I'm not sure QSV even has such an option even if it's available.

If QSV deinterlace is not currently an option, is it on the long-term roadmap?

Thank you!

[Obligatory note: I fully understand that QSV will provide a lower quality video at the same bit rate than a good x264 or x265 encode. These aren't meant to be archival copies, I'm processing those separately when needed. I just need a backup copy done as quickly as possible for some files, and would like to test QSV (probably HEVC) for that purpose. Thanks for understanding!]
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: What's the status for Quick Sync deinterlacing?

Post by s55 »

No, QSV deinterlacing is not supported currently. It's something that requires changes upstream at libav to allow us to re-introduce it. So eventually we'll re-introduce it.

It is however just basic deinterlacing so you don't get any choice in method and I don't believe there is much if anything in the way for configuring it when it does appear.
raspberry

Post by raspberry »

Thanks for the quick reply. Understood on the complexity involved in re-introducing it.

It's also good to know that it would simply be basic deinterlacing anyway. Even when it's available, I'm not 100% sure it's worth using over a better (slower) deinterlacing option such as yadif or a decomb.
WhatZit
Experienced

Post by WhatZit »

raspberry wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 amUnderstood on the complexity involved in re-introducing it.
https://patches.libav.org/patch/63668/
raspberry wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 amIt's also good to know that it would simply be basic deinterlacing anyway.

Code: Select all

The QSV DeinterlacingMode enumerator itemizes VPP deinterlacing modes:

MFX_DEINTERLACING_BOB BOB deinterlacing mode.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_ADVANCED Advanced motion adaptive deinterlacing mode.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_AUTO_DOUBLE Auto mode with deinterlacing double framerate output.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_AUTO_SINGLE Auto mode with deinterlacing single framerate output.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_FULL_FR_OUT Deinterlace only mode with full framerate output.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_HALF_FR_OUT Deinterlace only Mode with half framerate output.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_24FPS_OUT 24 fps fixed output mode.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_FIXED_TELECINE_PATTERN Fixed telecine pattern removal mode.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_30FPS_OUT 30 fps fixed output mode.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_DETECT_INTERLACE Only interlace detection.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_ADVANCED_NOREF Advanced deinterlacing mode without using of reference frames.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_ADVANCED_SCD Advanced deinterlacing mode with scene change detection.
MFX_DEINTERLACING_FIELD_WEAVING Field weaving.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I stand corrected, it's a tad better than I thought it was.

Also, didn't say it was complex. It's trivial for the most part. Even within HandBrake. Next time we upgrade Libav we should have everything we need