What is the best external dvd drve for my setup

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Tomcat58
New User

What is the best external dvd drve for my setup

Post by Tomcat58 »

I joined this group to learn about handbrake and have learned enough to have it up and running. I will be fulltime rv next spring and my goal is to have one hard drive that has all my cd music and dvd movies on it for compactness and ease of use. I have a cheapo walmart HP laptop and the stock cd dvd drive in it. It is running windows 10. It takes more the a hour to rip a dvd to the hard drive right now. I pickup a external hard drive x8 but it didn't work out as it comes in slow quite mode and the companies firmware download for utilities to change the speeds would not work.

My question to the group is what the fastes way for me to copy my dvd to my hard drive ? Is my cheap laptop a limiting factor ? Ram and processor etc. Thanks in advance for answering a few questions !

Tomcat58
mduell
Veteran User

Re: What is the best external dvd drve for my setup

Post by mduell »

Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: What is the best external dvd drve for my setup

Post by Woodstock »

And, since handbrake is not really a ripper, using a real ripping program will go a LOT faster, no matter which drive you use.

Using handbrake as a ripper WILL BE your limiting factor. Handbrake will not run the drive at anywhere near its potential, because it is encoding the video as it reads. A ripper like MakeMKV will run the drive at its capacity - one of the complaints on the MakeMKV forum is that it will run some USB drives so fast that they exceed the power available on the USB port and shut down; handbrake cannot do that.

Also, using a dedicated ripper program would open the option to getting a BD-capable drive, so you would have access to Blu-ray titles.