With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

How to not lose any video quality?

General discussion of HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Forum rules
Please be aware, this forum is not for support or help related to HandBrake. Please keep such discussions to the Community Support forum sections.
Bubbazoom
New User

How to not lose any video quality?

Post by Bubbazoom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 am

I've been ripping my bluray movies with MakeMKV, but due to wanting forced subtitles, I went to use handbrake after I've ripped the movie.

When I use handbrake there is a big quality drop when streaming to my TV. I don't understand the program very well as I'm not great with computers.

I don't care about file size for the time being either. Not every movie needs to be perfect quality, but the big blockbuster movies and CGIish ones I want max quality. I can pass on movies like Bridesmaids but I still want perfect quality.

I've searched on the boards and can't find anything, but again, I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Hope someone can help and can walk me through some stuff.

Thanks! :)

BradleyS

Re: How to not lose any video quality?

Post by BradleyS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:45 am

The documentation may answer your questions: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/

Read the Quick Start article first. A more detailed breakdown starts with Opening a video source.

Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:41 am

Or you could use MKVtoolnix to set a subtitle stream to 'Forced' and call it good.

SC

Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:41 am

Or you could use MKVtoolnix to set a subtitle stream to 'Forced' and call it good.

SC