Maintain original video quality

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
PJ4814

Maintain original video quality

Post by PJ4814 »

I store my video files in an .mkv container, but lately , with hearing loss problems, I need to add subtitles and store them in an .mp4 format. Handbrake does this beautifully, the subtitle font and layout are truly excellent for my old eyes.

The only problem is that a 3GB video file is reduced to 900MB using the Preset for SuperHQ1080p30. I presume that there is a corresponding loss of quality in these resulting smaller files

Is it possible to retain the original quality of the .mkv file being converted, rahter than using Presets?

kind regards,

PJ
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Maintain original video quality

Post by mduell »

Using HB there will always be some level of quality loss, it's a transcoder. If the loss isn't visible to you, does it really matter?

If you want video passthrough while adding subs and changing containers, you need to find another tool.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

It's not uncommon to see that level of compression efficiency, though it depends on the complexity of your source and how heavily compressed it already was to begin with.

If you would like to provide an activity log and perhaps some general information about your source, perhaps we can tell you more.
PJ4814

Post by PJ4814 »

Thank you. Have tried out the quality, and there is very little difference, so I can live with this
regards,
PJ
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

Is there any reason to switch from mkv to mp4?

If you just want to add subtitle to a mkv file, you should be using MKVToolNix. Don't transcode the video unnecessarily.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html