Improving encoding (speed and quality)

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Toriko

Improving encoding (speed and quality)

Post by Toriko »

Hi. I own a Pc with Amd A10-7800 and I've always used the integrated gpu for encoding. I recently bought a Gtx-1030 and I'd really like to use it to improve encoding (speed and hopefully quality). I disabled the integrated Gpu from the bios, but nothing has changed: same speed. What I have to do to make use of my new graphic card? Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Improving encoding (speed and quality)

Post by s55 »

HandBrake doesn't support AMD VCE or Nvidia NVENC, so in both cases neither GPU will accelerate HandBrake i'm afraid.
Toriko

Post by Toriko »

Maybe in a near future?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I'm not sure about near, but we are open to any patches that will support either.
Toriko

Post by Toriko »

Thanks.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Maybe post your logs so people can suggest ways to improve speed and quality with your current setup.
G0bble

Post by G0bble »

This thread seems to indicate it is already implemented: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/697
However I dont see the video encoder options in the dropdown for AMD VCE as shown in a screenshot in the github page. Not in v1.1.2. Is there a future release this is planned for? The thread seems to indicate that ffmpeg has the support needed.

G0bble
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

For your specific, non-general issue, you're best off posting a thread in one of the support forums with the requisite information.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

VCE is not in 1.1.2. Future release but no eta. Can experiment with it on the nightly builds from the download page.