Difference Bewteen Linux and Windows Encoding?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
rebeltaz

Difference Bewteen Linux and Windows Encoding?

Post by rebeltaz »

I have been running, and loving, this program on my Ubuntu Linux systems (10.04, 16.04, lubunut, ubuntu, etc) with complete success. I use the [Normal] and [High Profile] presets and I get file sizes between 800mb and 1.65gb, depending on the source and the preset I'm using. My computer is Christmas slow, though, so I install this on my girlfriend's Windows 7 computer. Using the same presets on hers, we are getting files sizes between 4-8gb! What is different in the two programs and how can I get the Winodws version to output the same files as the Linux versions? Thanks.
BradleyS

Re: Difference Bewteen Linux and Windows Encoding?

Post by BradleyS »

We will need to see activity logs from each machine's encodes to really answer this.
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

OK. I will have to try to convert a file on hers. The log there was empty. This may take a while, but I will upload those as soon as I can.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You can encode just a chapter or small clip, no need to do a big encode.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

The in-app log window clears on each launch, but logs are also kept on disk, see: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/help ... y-log.html
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

OK. I think I did this right.

This is the LinuxEncode: https://pastebin.com/1e5apW4G

This is the WindowsEncode: https://pastebin.com/6ekRZGhM
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

You did that correctly, but generally we will need to see logs from the same source. It's impossible to reasonably compare file sizes and other attributes from two different films.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Also, "libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable." indicates that the disc make have copy protection. HandBrake doesn't work with copy protected discs. Some people use other tools like MakeMKV or AnyDVD first.
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

OK... this encode was done on the Linux machine with the same video: https://pastebin.com/1HK1hERa
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Okay, the settings you're using are definitely different. x264 veryfast/medium, main/high, 4.0/4.1, etc. Obviously, the Linux version is much older as well.

Perhaps post a log from an abnormally large encode so we can make recommendations there.
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

OK. I will encode a movie tonight and post the log tomorrow. Thank you.
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

sigh... wouldn't you know it. I encoded four movies today. One didn't encode for some reason, but the other three were right around 1gb each. I don't know why the files were so huge last time, but... at least it's working... for now.
napulob

Post by napulob »

I have a question that goes to the same category. I have two Windows machines and a laptop with Linux Mint installed. I have a few tv series dvd sets, and if I try to rip them with Handbrake on the Windows machines, the image is all garbled, the rips are unwatchable of course and the file sizes are huge. If I rip them using Handbrake in Linux, the rips are perfectly fine. I'm using the dvd device as source.

I wonder where does this difference come from? Is there copy protection that Linux somehow disables, or is it a question of a different kind of handbrake? Are the actual optical drives that different? I think the version installed on the linux is 1.0.4 and the last time I tried using win Handbrake the version was 1.0.7.

BTW I can watch the dvd's with all of the machines with dvd watching software.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

napulob wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:18 pm Is there copy protection that Linux somehow disables
Yes, try ripping your DVD's with a dedicated ripping tool like makemkv first then encoding the mkv with HB.
napulob

Post by napulob »

rollin_eng wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:12 pm
napulob wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:18 pm Is there copy protection that Linux somehow disables
Yes, try ripping your DVD's with a dedicated ripping tool like makemkv first then encoding the mkv with HB.
OK. I guess I'll stick to ripping with the Linux Handbrake, since even though my other Windows machine is faster, on the whole the Linux machine is faster if it rips and encodes all at once + it's less hassle. I have found some dvd:s that need to be ripped first with makeMKV even on the Linux machine, so I have it compiled just in case.